18 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:11 AM

About 8 months ago we discovered that someone was tapping into our WiFi and I put a password on the account.  Granddaughter wants to get on with her tablet for the first time and we do not remember what the password was.  Is there any way to retrieve the password without resetting the whole thing?

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:56 AM

If you still have Windows go here http://www.howtogeek...word-in-windows

• chieffan said thank you

#3 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 448 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:56 AM

Need to find router IP number. Once you have that type it in the address bar of your browser and press enter. A box should appear to log into the router, Default login in is "admin" and password is "admin". Once inside your router setup there should be a tab for wireless. Click it and wireless settings should be on your screen. From there you should be able to find the password for your wifi

Jim

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 12:23 PM

If you still have Windows go here http://www.howtogeek...word-in-windows

The second screen I get is completely different.  Nothing similar from there on.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 12:29 PM

Need to find router IP number. Once you have that type it in the address bar of your browser and press enter. A box should appear to log into the router, Default login in is "admin" and password is "admin". Once inside your router setup there should be a tab for wireless. Click it and wireless settings should be on your screen. From there you should be able to find the password for your wifi

Jim

Only found two numbers on the box.  One was the serial number.  The other was0313-1183.  Entered that & got web sites from women's button jeans to attorneys to something FIFI.  Have to do some hunting around and maybe stumble onto it.  Thanks for the help just the same.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 01:10 PM

Here another way  go to control panel, view network status and task, connections Wi-Fi , wireless properties, security there should be option to show characters.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 01:36 PM

Only found two numbers on the box.  One was the serial number.  The other was0313-1183.  Entered that & got web sites from women's button jeans to attorneys to something FIFI.  Have to do some hunting around and maybe stumble onto it.  Thanks for the help just the same.

I'll send you a pm!

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 02:03 PM

I have hard time recalling passwords also now days. I have a recipe file box on desk with cards and ID tabs for writing down all the addresses, passwords and any safety questions when I start new sites and places. Also others would have that if needed and I was dead or gone or ??  I guess ANYONE could see that and get into things, yet seems pretty slim that would ever be a problem. Even with that, I sometimes forget to change the cards and date them and lose one. I try to keep same for long time, yet some places make you have to change them every few months, I HATE that request.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 02:22 PM

I have hard time recalling passwords also now days. I have a recipe file box on desk with cards and ID tabs for writing down all the addresses, passwords and any safety questions when I start new sites and places. Also others would have that if needed and I was dead or gone or ??  I guess ANYONE could see that and get into things, yet seems pretty slim that would ever be a problem. Even with that, I sometimes forget to change the cards and date them and lose one. I try to keep same for long time, yet some places make you have to change them every few months, I HATE that request.

I have a similar problem.  I use a password manager but also forget to update passwords or if I'm in a hurry I'll make one up write it on a piece of paper and then later not know what the piece of paper was for and trash it.  If you remember to use it a password manager is a great tool, most will generate passwords for you then you just simply copy and past the user id and password when you want to access a site or program and you just have to remember one password the one for the password manager.  Unless you have seniors moments like me! :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 03:05 PM

We have a little book called 'PASSWORDS", but I didn't see any in there for you!

• WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 04:51 PM

We have a little book called 'PASSWORDS", but I didn't see any in there for you!

I was sure I told you what it was :(   I too have a note book with a couple pages of passwords and usernames in.  Unfortunately I did not put this one down in there.  Probably wrote it on a scratch paper and it went by the wayside.  I should have mentioned too and didn't that I am running W7.  Just one more item that was easy with XP and hard or can't be done on W7.

#12 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Typically your wi-fi access point (often built in to the router) will have 2 passwords.  One is to access it - that's the one devices need to get on the internet.  The other is a user name and password to actually administer the access point.

I think you probably put the first type on - someone was using your wireless access point to get on to the network.  If you have the second you can change or look up the first.

Depending on the manufacturer of the access point the default administration password may be different.  Sometimes it is admin/admin.  If you share the make and model of your access point or router we can help you look up the defaults.  We can also look up its default IP address for access.

Edited by MiCarl, December 25, 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#13 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 06:48 PM

You can reset router to default with the reset button on the router and use the default password to access your router and then change the user name and password to whatever you like.

You will need the default IP address, default user name and password once you reset your router.

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 07:01 PM

What brand router are we working on here?

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Router is a Sisco 07794.  I am a little afraid to do much changing in fear of not being able to access it at all.  Then I am SOL as no tech available this weekend, and I don't blame them.