• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 09:06 PM

I don't do very well in packed rooms.  My wife's family (decent people) like packing everyone they can get their hands on into a small living room for any excuse they can come up with.

Christmas with them starts at 1:00 PM today at my sister-in-law's house (24th) and runs through supper at my mother-in-law's Christmas day.  I bailed out early tonight.

I really felt bad when the kids were young.  They'd get to open their gifts then we'd drag them away to be with wife's family.  I'd have rather had them enjoy Christmas day at home.

• MH81, oldedeeres, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 12:35 AM

I really felt bad when the kids were young.  They'd get to open their gifts then we'd drag them away to be with wife's family.  I'd have rather had them enjoy Christmas day at home.

Few years, we tried to do 4 in one day.
Ours, my parents, in laws, wife's aunt. By the time we got home, kids were crying & parents were beyond grumpy.
One year I put my foot down and we worked out an annual holiday schedule.
Firmly, but nicely let everyone know if they wanted the kids there, then some concessions needed to be made.

Has worked much better, everyone enjoys the days more.
  • Bolens 1000, oldedeeres and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#18 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 01:29 PM

My closest remaining outlaw lives 300 miles away and that's close enough! She phoned last night, talked for 105 minutes non-stop, I wished her and hers a Merry Christmas twice when she stopped for a breath, and she finally hung up. Doesn't take hints well! You all know I loved My Olde Deere beyond words, but his sisters are a piece of work, and that's me being in a generous  state of Christmas giving. Our younger son and his family- wife and two dogs, came last week. Her family has Christmas this year, we alternate years, and it works out fine. Today is our older son, his boy and their dog, and it will be a quiet and peaceful day with lots of food and visiting. All dogs in this house know that they are dogs, happily open their presents and behave themselves at least as well as the people, lol. 

• MH81, KennyP, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks