- - - - -

Question for You that know the 420s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:22 PM

My brother has a 420 and he says the transaxle is going bad.

What transaxles will fit it. I know the 318 does not have the axle lock and am wondering what will fit

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,587 Thanks
  • 38,983 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:21 PM

I don't have any JD files anymore, Ray! Wish I could help!

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,291 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:49 PM

If I remember right, the 430, 420 without having anything to modify. 318, 322, 332 but you will have to swap out the axle tube and the inside components for the diff lock and the two speed. And the linkages hook up differently.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#4 javjacob OFFLINE  

• Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 02:55 AM

Why not just rebuild it? Jims repairs jims tractors is one option... http://www.jimsrepai...ion-rebuild.htm

How does your brother know the transmission is going bad? Maybe its something minor that is a simple fix? Has he tried changing the fluid and filters in the transmission first? Something like a plugged up filter or broken down fluid can make one act up.  

Edited by javjacob, December 25, 2015 - 02:55 AM.

#5 JD318420 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 79598
  • 31 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 12:25 AM

javjacob, has a good point, what has been done to the tractor? Anything? My brother in-law almost had my mother in-law dump her 420. It just needed some real strong TLC. 1.) New filters and New fluids. 2.) Cleaning of the the tractor (remove panels, seat pan, screens). Major tune up (coil, wires, plugs (coil died after 25 years). I also had to replace the key switch (corrosion had made it fall apart and I added the reliable starting relay kit too. Then I had to replace the electronic ignition module (it decided to died, probably heat related)  , was packed with dirt and crap (took photos to show what I found all the time), Replace trans damper that was completely dead ( just about tossed me off every time I move between forward and reverse) It runs incredible now and I have enjoyed a lot of her home cooking to boot! Plus I now seem to have the tractor as part of her will besides now being drafted to help with her other needs. (Just keeps me out of trouble)

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,580 Thanks
  • 3,731 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 03:47 PM

My initial thought:  What makes him think the transaxle is bad?  Those things are tough and take a beating.  What are the symptoms?  I'd start with draining the hydro fluid, replacing the filter, and fill it with hy-guard per the Deere manual.