• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 nickandkalin OFFLINE  

nickandkalin
  • Member No: 43897
  • 15 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 09:10 AM

Hi Guys, I'm looking at building a fel for my gt, just wondering if anyone can help me out with pump mounting on my tractor? it is a close sided machine. any pics or info would be a great help. Also would a p/s pump have the capability to run the loader? Thanks Nick

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 09:16 AM

I think you need the services of skyrdr2 for this! He has done a lot to his LGT 165 closed side.

• Alc, skyrydr2 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 10:37 AM

Search the Manuals Section too.

#4 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:27 PM

A steering pump will work if you can find the correct one with the remote resivoir. You will also need the find a good spot to mount the pump and then make a custom drive pulley to drive the pump from the flywheel side. I did all this on a Briggs opposed twin shoe horned into my LGT 165 until I found a D600 Kubota diesel and shoe horned that in. .
It would be pretty easy with a K341 in there, more room to fit the pump.
  • Alc, Chopperhed and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:28 PM

Couple options, the pump can be mounted out front off the PTO or mount a pulley in between the flywheel adapter and the driveshaft. Here's a couple pics of how I did mine on my 195, little larger but same motor/ driveshaft setup. The pump was mounted up underneath making it the lowest point in the system.

IMG_0971.jpg IMG_0999.jpg

I've seen a picture of a stock pump setup right up front near PTO, right side from sitting on the seat. No belt on it so I'm not sure but would assume it ran off electric PTO. Only downside to that would be - remember to turn on and off and if the clutch goes , you can't lift the loader. Positive would be if no one knew about the switch, they wouldn't know how to use the loader.

Either way good luck.  

A johnson model 10 or 12 off a Bolens large frame would be a great fit. That 's what I started with and planned on putting on my 145, was almost a perfect fit. Then I scored a 195 and had to widen it 8" to clear the wider hood sides and larger footprint.

• Alc, skyrydr2 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#6 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:29 PM

A truck power steering pump with a remote reservoir will work fine, and can handle anything a small engine can put to it. I used one off of a Mini van, added a 1 gallon auxiliary tank,and it works great for my three axis blade dozer, with good speed and power on all cylinders.. The pump is mounted under the front where the mule drive used to be. I think I have capacity for more as well.

I find it cranks a bit slow, because the starting motor is turning the engine and two pumps.

If that worries you, a simple centrifugal clutch will only engage when throttled up, allowing the engine to crank easier. I find that the electric clutches draw a lot of power.
My 15 hp clone wouldn't handle the electrical draw.

Edited by Chopperhed, December 23, 2015 - 06:40 PM.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Chopper and Tom are spot on, now if you use a powersteering pump from say, a GM van it uses a vaine pump and they allow for a bit easier cranking when cold because of the vaine pedals inside, they don't really start pumping until they reach at least 800 rpms. Once pressurized they stay pumping and rely on the flow control/relief valve.
  • Alc and Chopperhed have said thanks

#8 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:47 PM

Chopper and Tom are spot on, now if you use a powersteering pump from say, a GM van it uses a vaine pump and they allow for a bit easier cranking when cold because of the vaine pedals inside, they don't really start pumping until they reach at least 800 rpms. Once pressurized they stay pumping and rely on the flow control/relief valve.

I used a pump from a 89 Caravan, it has a sump on the pump and a remote tank. The greatest thing about P/S pumps is the shaft bearing. It's designed for a heavy side load and higher horsepower. Garden tractor duty is easy on them.

#9 nickandkalin OFFLINE  

nickandkalin
  • 15 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 05:15 AM

Thank for the info guys. Looking forward to start this new project in the spring.

#10 nickandkalin OFFLINE  

nickandkalin
  • 15 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 12:05 PM

anyone have any pics of pump mounts on a lgt close side? and some pics of the underside mount of the fel. (main support under tractor)?

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:56 AM

I custom made mine. It really depends on what you start with. If you get one from another brand you will have to adjust it to your frame anyway. If you plan on building the whole thing from scratch, you design what works best around what else you plan on using the tractor for, i.e. mower deck.

#12 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:01 AM

Here's a link to my build. It's not a tube frame, but it shows what's involved in modifying one to fit.http://gardentractor...5/?hl= 195 fel

• Alc said thank you

#13 nickandkalin OFFLINE  

nickandkalin
  • 15 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:12 PM

Anyone have a parts diagram for a johnson 10 tc that goes on the lgt model tractors?

#14 nickandkalin OFFLINE  

nickandkalin
  • 15 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 03:24 PM

Hi guys now I'm just wondering on hose size for my fel, will 1/4in hose do or should I go bigger? Also would a 4.3 gpm pump be large enough to run the loader?

#15 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 05:29 PM

I have to check mine,but 1/2" is what I think I have. Skyrdr2 is the hydraulics guy, he'll know better.