One of the sheds had a very rotten wood shake shingle roof. Been bad longer than I care to admit. Needing attention and with such mild fall weather, it was time as the stringers were starting to get bad in places.
I got this old galvanized tin 20 years ago and decided this is as good of a place as any to utilize it.
The shed is small. Only 12 X 16 and is tall enough that IF I ever get my 1925 Ford Model TT truck restored it'll fit real good in here. Until then I'd like to use this shed for walk behind garden tractors. Being so tall I could double deck the tractors with the smaller ones on top like PJ Super Tuffy and the Choremaster.
Now some pics. The rotten shingles.
Inside you can see where the water has run down, streaking the boards. The dark pic shows sunlight leaking through.
Old shingles cleared. They are now kindling for the shop stove. I dropped them in the F-150 to be dealt with later. Its a good thing the building is too old for plywood as that roof is too steep to hang onto. I could put the toes of my boots in the gaps to avoid the gravitational pull.
Then Sunday night we got some serious rain - more than they were calling for. It rained right in the building but I don't figure it was all that much worse than it had been for some time. The F-150 2 wheel drive would have been stuck. The cows had really tore the ground up around the building trying to get out of the rain that was blowing sideways. The mud was much worse than it looks. I tracked mud up the ladder and all over the stringers. Working by myself there were many trips up and down the ladder. Even with steel shank boots those round rungs on the bonified antique ladder hurt!
The F-250 4X4 would have made ruts, so the 'Lil red Dodge sprang into action. it will go most anywhere a 4X4 will, but not leave ruts. The tin is 11 feet long and the Dodge bed is 5. The roof needed tin 9 feet long on each side but I didn't feel the need to cut it. Two feet of overhang may look funny but it'll help protect the unpainted wood siding. The tin is a tongue and groove style that locks together really good. I drilled each flange and bolted them tight with 1/4 inch bolts.
Next project is to fix the doors. The hinges are drooping and the doors drag real bad.
Then a good cleaning and maybe some heavy shelving to double deck some of the walk behinds.
Right now there are 7 motorcycles, 2 four-wheelers, 2 garden tractors, and at least 8 outboard engines in there. With so much overhang I could cut a relief in the tin to flatten out the pitch and it'd be a good start on a lean to. I have lots more of that tin.