Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,585 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:10 AM

One of the sheds had a very rotten wood shake shingle roof.  Been bad longer than I care to admit.  Needing attention and with such mild fall weather, it was time as the stringers were starting to get bad in places. 

I got this old galvanized tin 20 years ago and decided this is as good of a place as any to utilize it.

The shed is small.  Only 12 X 16 and is tall enough that IF  I ever get my 1925 Ford Model TT truck restored it'll fit real good in here.  Until then I'd like to use this shed for walk behind garden tractors.  Being so tall I could double deck the tractors with the smaller ones on top like PJ Super Tuffy and the Choremaster. 

Now some pics.  The rotten shingles.

shed 1.jpg

Inside you can see where the water has run down, streaking the boards. The dark pic shows sunlight leaking through.

shed 3.jpg ,shed 4.jpg ,

Old shingles cleared.  They are now kindling for the shop stove. I dropped them in the F-150 to be dealt with later.  Its a good thing the building is too old for plywood as that roof is too steep to hang onto.  I could put the toes of my boots in the gaps to avoid the gravitational pull.

shed 2.jpg

Then Sunday night we got some serious rain - more than they were calling for.  It rained right in the building but I don't figure it was all that much worse than it had been for some time. The F-150 2 wheel drive would have been stuck.  The cows had really tore the ground up around the building trying to get out of the rain that was blowing sideways.  The mud was much worse than it looks.  I tracked mud up the ladder and all over the stringers.  Working by myself there were many trips up and down the ladder.  Even with steel shank boots those round rungs on the bonified antique ladder hurt! 

The F-250 4X4 would have made ruts, so the 'Lil red Dodge sprang into action.  it will go most anywhere a 4X4 will, but not leave ruts.  The tin is 11 feet long and the Dodge bed is 5. :poke:   The roof needed tin 9 feet long on each side but I didn't feel the need to cut it.  Two feet of overhang may look funny but it'll help protect the unpainted wood siding.  The tin is a tongue and groove style that locks together really good.  I drilled each flange and bolted them tight with 1/4 inch bolts.

shed 5.jpg ,shed 7.jpg

Next project is to fix the doors.  The hinges are drooping and the doors drag real bad.  

shed 6.jpg

Then a good cleaning and maybe some heavy shelving to double deck some of the walk behinds.

Right now there are 7 motorcycles, 2 four-wheelers, 2 garden tractors, and at least 8 outboard engines in there.   With so much overhang I could cut a relief in the tin to flatten out the pitch and it'd be a good start on a lean to.  I have lots more of that tin.  :thumbs:

• MH81, grnspot110, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,653 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:32 AM

That should dry things in!

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,521 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:39 AM

That will be good for years. The overhang roof will do a lot for protecting the walls.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:21 AM

Looking good. That work you did on the roof doesn't sound like much fun but the effort will be worth it.

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:43 AM

Looks good. I haven't seen a dodge rampage forever!

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Amazing what good a new roof can do.  Well done!  The overhangs are actually really good places to stack firewood.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:31 AM

Very nice upgrade
The 2' isn't going to get damaged by snow load? I assume the pitch is steep enough not to be a worry.
  • Gtractor and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,139 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:38 AM

Keep an eye on the 2' overhang.  The wind can get to whipping it real good and start tearing the lower anchors.  I had trouble with a 12" overhang and used 2" screws to hold it down.  Had to run a 1X4 just under the edge of the tin to keep it from flexing.  This was standard steel too.

• Gtractor said thank you

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 10:48 AM

That's a nice looking shed.. 2' overhang is extra mostly dry storage!  When I built garage one of my helpers asked how far to go with eaves,,I told him 2',,easy number to work with when I have a crew of 6 and only one good with a tape measure...

Ya know in the city those old weathered barn boards go for 3x the price of a new board...

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,585 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:15 AM

I haven't seen a dodge rampage forever!

Most of them rusted away.  When the salt hits the roads that one gets parked.  I'd sell the MRS. before I sold that one. :smilewink:

Very nice upgrade
The 2' isn't going to get damaged by snow load? I assume the pitch is steep enough not to be a worry.

I believe its steep enough and we don't get that much snow at any one time here.  Ususally one snow melts before another comes along.   That tin is tough along the edges.  Was told they are Butler Buildings panels?  Of course out in the middle where there are no ridges its just floppy tin but I can reach up and grab the tougue and groove flange and all my 288 pounds don't phaze it.  Even with 2 feet hanging out with no support.

Keep an eye on the 2' overhang.  The wind can get to whipping it real good and start tearing the lower anchors.  I had trouble with a 12" overhang and used 2" screws to hold it down.  Had to run a 1X4 just under the edge of the tin to keep it from flexing.  This was standard steel too.

I wondered about the wind.  Its always  windy up on this hill.   Probably should put a big bolt in all four bottom corners.  The wind is the reason this project took two weeks.  Its about all I could do to drag these heavy panels up there and I sure didn't want wind flopping them around.  :(

• MH81 said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 12:10 PM

Most of them rusted away. When the salt hits the roads that one gets parked. I'd sell the MRS. before I sold that one. :smilewink:

Ha-ha.

I have an odd love for truck cars. The brat the rampage el caminos rancheros...

I was so excited when Pontiac talked about bringing over the Holden Ute. But that never happened.