#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 09:44 PM

Bought a Dell, and big 23" monitor. Just took out of boxes tonight, have to hook it up tomorrow as have to go to work now. Wireless monitor and keyboard new also. Now, just have to start over and put in all the info once again. Windows 10 with it. I want to keep all the years of Junk from old puter off this one, so probly just be manually entering all the address's and names saved on it. Time to clean house. Pictures are NOT coming over to this new one, they are all mixed up.  Gonna try cleaner use of programs on this one, keep garbage from collecting. Wish me luck, ha!  See ya in couple days, OR NOT! Depending on how it goes,

• Alc, HDWildBill, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,535 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Have fun GL. Rather you than me.
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 10:26 PM

Good luck with pictures,,,I lost mine last year,,1400 pictures,,gave laptop to a "pro" and I got 26,000 pictures of you NAME IT..Heck there was even a pile of pics of someones honeymoon,,no idea who they were,, "Pro" says oh ya,,they are all yours .BS

• WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,307 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 10:48 PM

BACK UP EVERYTHING!!  Get a large flash drive and copy your pictures over to it.  Same goes for music files and manuals and other important information.  Do this regularly and you won't lose anything.  I lost a lot of precious memories a while back and it won't happen again..  Good Luck with Windows Spyware~~   :poke:

• Alc, Chopperhed and chieffan have said thanks

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Grumpus, when setting up that w10 watch to see if it asks you where you want files to store? It may or may not give you this option at startup..... Mine would default to one drive or the cloud.... Always have to save as everything, total pain ... Good luck
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:19 AM

BACK UP EVERYTHING!!  Get a large flash drive and copy your pictures over to it.  Same goes for music files and manuals and other important information.  Do this regularly and you won't lose anything.  I lost a lot of precious memories a while back and it won't happen again..  Good Luck with Windows Spyware~~   :poke:

I have a complete backup of my files off the HP on an external disk. Just haven't figured out how I could migrate them to Linux as yet.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Was thinking of "thumb" drives, is that same as "flash" drive?  These work then and how big should I get?  Seems like they hold quite a bit, but maybe pictures say will need more? I don't even know how to use thumbdrives for saving, only used one for the info someone else put in it. Will I need passwords then to open them up later? Or to make them? I'm hoping to put all my Contacts for email on one too, OR....is that all just on the program's site and not in the puter?

• chieffan said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:18 AM

Where did all the FUN part of using a puter go?  With all this W10 stuff, clouds, thumb drive, flash drive, etc. etc. it is full time job and not really much fun left any more as something seems to be always screwing up.  Call it technology or what ever they want, it is all geared for the computer nerds out there and definitely not for the common every day user that just wants to get a little enjoyment on their computer.

I wish you the best gl, sure glad it is you and not me.  Personally if it was me I would pull the plug on the old machine as far as the internet goes and run it stand alone.  Run it with your new one and when you need something off the old one it is right there.  Move stuff over as you need or want to.

• Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,307 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:48 AM

Was thinking of "thumb" drives, is that same as "flash" drive?  These work then and how big should I get?  Seems like they hold quite a bit, but maybe pictures say will need more? I don't even know how to use thumbdrives for saving, only used one for the info someone else put in it. Will I need passwords then to open them up later? Or to make them? I'm hoping to put all my Contacts for email on one too, OR....is that all just on the program's site and not in the puter?

Flash drives or Thumb drives or memory sticks are portable USB data storage or transfer devices.  They are available in many sizes up to 600 gig of storage or more..  

HERE  is a good deal on a 128 GB.  What size you need depends on the amount of data you want to preserve/store.  As they are USB 2.0 the data transfer rate is sloww but once it's done you have a backup copy of all your files.  I make multiple copies in case a memory stick gets corrupted or lost.  Newer computers have USB 3.0 capability which is faster and will accept 3.0 memory sticks..  As far as the particular OS you are using  usually a file type is a file type and as long as the OS recognizes the file type you are good.  Pictures, music and .pdf (manual format) files are much standards nowadays.  Microsoft Office files are pretty much windows only..  Now the fact that I'm not versed in Linux my assumptions are subject to experienced folks..  

BUT..  Files are files are files and can be stored and converted and reused.  Now Win 10 on the other hand takes away some of your ownership and manipulation rights along with opening your data storage up to big brother..  

Hope this makes sense to ya and answers your questions..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, December 23, 2015 - 11:52 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:57 AM

I have a complete backup of my files off the HP on an external disk. Just haven't figured out how I could migrate them to Linux as yet.

Kenny just plug the external drive into the Linux computer and use the file manager to copy and paste.

• Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 01:19 PM

Good Luck GL.
"See you on the other side" :smilewink:

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 12:21 AM

Hey, I'm BACK!  Just set this up on desk to try out and totally lost now. Did find how to search and find this place. Working on email, but having some issues there, not sure why. Haven't done Desktop and saves or settings yet, will need to study that part. Going to bed now, worn out and gotta get up in AM early.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 06:09 AM

Glad you gut her up and running!  I think you will enjoy the 23" monitor, I love my new one.

#14 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 08:55 AM

I'm Pretty sure my puter just died.no light, no sound I'm struggling with my IPad. I hate writing on this.

#15 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 08:58 AM

I'm Pretty sure my puter just died.no light, no sound I'm struggling with my IPad. I hate writing on this.

Power supply?  Have you unplugged it and left that way for 15 mins or so?

• HDWildBill and LilysDad have said thanks