Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Looking for a decent dash for a MTD960 what else did that dash come on?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aftonrobert OFFLINE  

• Member No: 76367
  • 10 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hi,my 960 dash busted to pieces.Anything has to be better.Anyone have a decent one for sale?What else was that dash used on?I don't have paypal but I can pay with a USPS money order.Im in TN

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Find the parts manual in our Manuals Section and get the number and compare to 760s, 860s, 960s, and 990s. Joe's has some 860 parts. Good Luck, Rick

Try: http://www.ebay.com/...d dash&_sacat=0

Edited by boyscout862, December 22, 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,663 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:32 PM

You might want to post an ad in the Classifieds for what you are wanting.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,519 Thanks
  • 6,381 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:48 AM

There are no good ones, just maybe "better" ones that what you have. Ones with less breakage I mean. Have never seen one of these yet that isn't broken.  Was some guys looking at getting those made again, or some have even spent time and money to make them from steel sheet, but just theirs, not for sale. You can get the new dash metal plate with diff options or surfaces. I don't have that info, but someone on here might recall who or where that link is?  Decals can be gotten also for dash and other places. 3pt hitch parts are being made new by a welding shop I Have bought from if I can find the info.  If you have 15" rear wheels and 4-bolt hubs, they are a little harder to find tires for, specially in ag type.

• VTXrider said thank you

#5 VTXrider OFFLINE  

• Member No: 16031
  • 459 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 06:12 AM

I sent my dash to a fellow in Alberta, Canada to try molding a reproduction for his MTD 990. He has experience in doing this. After making a negative and the a positive mold he decided to make it in 5 pieces, then glue and bake it into one piece. He had a difficult time finding a plastic material that did not shrink as it cured. So he returned my dash and will continue this winter trying to make a usable dash. I feel he may succeed but will have so much time and money into this project, it will be impossible to sell for a profit.

If you have the pieces, they can be epoxied back together and then reinforced inside with metal or fiberglass. I am in the process of doing this with my dash. I am making the missing pieces from Lexan and epoxy then fiberglass cloth and resin inside for strength.

This is my progress so far. http://gardentractor...-project/page-5

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

• Member No: 4343
  • 410 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 01:59 PM

I also have a friend that does mold work for a living, making and doing a dash in one drop piece is not the problem, the expense of a mold would be about 600 bucks , We decided there wasn't enough demand to cover cost and make a little extra. It cost me about a 100 bucks to repair a dash ( not counting my time ) using the same material they are made of. That is why I keep old dashes for parts and piece them together. If they are not repaired with the proper material ,the expansion rate will differ and eventually they will sink at the repair and or crack, it may take years but it will happen.

• VTXrider said thank you

#7 Andy M OFFLINE  

Andy M
  • Member No: 80506
  • 3 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 10:33 PM

Mine was so bad I had to go this route.
Every time I touched it another piece would break, I guess the UV inhibitors were not as effective back then. I did try the fibreglass but the resin did not cure , leaving a jelly mess !!
I'm no fabricator but this will work for my needs .

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• TheFarm2004, sacsr and VTXrider have said thanks