Garden Tractor Forums banner

Changed Color Today - Twice !

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  chieffan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Started gathering Bolens about 2 years ago. Put an ad on the local swap shop wanting Gt's. This guy called with a cub with a bad motor and wanted to sell it and needed the money. So I bought it sight unseen and picked it up today. Ended up being a LT1018 Hydro in not bad shape. Worst is the handled on the left side is broke off and gone. New battery and spins over good, everything seems to work on it. 850 hours on the clock. Deck looks good, needs new wheels on the front. Main reason I bought it was the Mrs can run this one. Don't like the JD F525 and won't get on it. I have to have knee replacement soon so won't be doing the mowing for a while.

Will try and get some photos tomorrow. To dark now and wanted to get it under a roof.

On the way home from getting this one I stopped and looked at a B7100 Kubota with a crack in the block. Gets water in the oil. Probably a 12-15 yo machine. Inside and other than dirty and being manual steering looked taken care off. Owner sad they were not going to fix it and he was ready to load it on a trailer with a bunch of other stuff and haul it to the scrap yard. Threw him an offer which was about scrap price and he took it. Going after it after the first of the year. From Bolens to Cub to Kubota all in one day. What's this world coming to.

See less See more
#4 ·
Congrats on the new machines.

Dad left straight water in one of his Kubota's winter before last. This is a little bigger - maybe 22 horse. Looks like it'd be a 3 cylinder but its actually a 4 banger. He found an engine from a zero turn on Craigslist that was identical and bought it right. When he got to looking into things on the frozen engine, the part that gave out and busted was the timing cover. He bought a timing cover off Epay, swapped it out, and all was good.

Only thing, it was leaking externally [bad!] and not into the oil.

#6 ·
Will you be selling the F525?

Wink, wink
Not in my mind right now. I love that off set deck. Has wheels weights on all 3. Only thing I don't like about it, and probably common thing, is it has a tendency to tear up the grass when turning around bushes all the time. Not a wet ground machine. Tom cat sprays on a wheel and your stuck.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have fixed several cracked blocks, heads and gaskets, using K-Seal for cracks, and Blue Devil for head gaskets. It's cheap enough to be worth a try.
That is the route I am going to try first. Might have to change oil a few times before I get results but cheaper than an engine. Haven't heard of K-Seal. Will have to check it out on the net. Thanks.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Congrats on the new machines.

Dad left straight water in one of his Kubota's winter before last. This is a little bigger - maybe 22 horse. Looks like it'd be a 3 cylinder but its actually a 4 banger. He found an engine from a zero turn on Craigslist that was identical and bought it right. When he got to looking into things on the frozen engine, the part that gave out and busted was the timing cover. He bought a timing cover off Epay, swapped it out, and all was good.

Only thing, it was leaking externally [bad!] and not into the oil.
Thanks Kris. I asked the owner if he knew where the crack was. He said inside some place. I asked water in the oil and he said yes. I didn't ask if he drained anything out or not cause at that point it would not make any difference. Just hope I can get luckier on this one than I did the 1476. I have it under wraps and don't want to see it for 6 months.

Reactions: Gtractor and MH81
#9 ·
I have fixed several cracked blocks, heads and gaskets, using K-Seal for cracks, and Blue Devil for head gaskets. It's cheap enough to be worth a try.
Found the K-Seal at O'Rileys. Will try that first.

Downloaded the service manual for the 1018 but it does not include anything about engine removal. I could probably figure it out but would be nice to have some guidance going in.

#10 ·
Finally got some photos this morning. Rained all day yesterday so stayed where it was dry. Haven't looked under the deck yet, oil is dark but in the safe range, no water discoloration. Back in the lat '50's when I worked part time at a filling station we had a paste to put on the end of the dip stick that would change color if there was water in the oil. Anybody remember that stuff? ?

Wheel Tire Riding mower Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Riding mower
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Luggage and bags Automotive design Bag
Hood Car Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior

Attachments

Reactions: KennyP
#11 ·
#12 ·
Thanks Cat385B. Sounds like the same stuff. Thought the color red came into play some place but didn't remember for sure where. Cost more to ship than a tube cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.