Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo

How To Remove A Crankcase Gasket From An Aluminum Block And Crankcase Cover Without Damaging Them?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 02:25 PM

I'm replacing the crankcase gasket on a Briggs and Stratton engine that has an aluminum block and crankcase cover. I used a putty knife and small razor blade to remove as much of the gasket as I could, but it's hard to remove all traces of the gasket using these tools (which they can't seem to do anyway) and not damage the aluminum. Any suggestions on a better way? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gabriel, December 22, 2015 - 02:37 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 03:46 PM

spray on gasket remover then follow up with razor blade--makes one heck of a mess and has to be washed off also hard on your skin

maybe just dab some on with a q-tip to the trouble spots.Stay away from scotch brite disc and bristle disc that fit in die grinder they will remove metal--seen lot of parts ruined with them things. 

Also if anyone has a way of getting off dry silicone let me know. 

• Alc, Gabriel and chieffan have said thanks

#3 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 05:56 PM

I use several old wood chisels.  Having then sharp helps a lot.

• Bill 76, Gabriel and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:20 PM

:ditto:   Make sure they are sharp and work slow and push easy so you can tell when you start get to deep.

• Bill 76 and Gabriel have said thanks

#5 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 729 Thanks
  • 632 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Stay away from scotch brite disc and bristle disc that fit in die grinder they will remove metal--seen lot of parts ruined with them things. 

Ditto. I like a good sharp razor blade sometimes at a slight sliceing angle kinda like peeling a potatoes with a knife
  • Bill 76 and Gabriel have said thanks

#6 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:43 PM

A task that I loath. I've heard that Easy Off oven cleaner works - never tried it, though. I keep a supply of new single-edge blades and use them without a holder to keep me from using too much pressure.
  • Alc, Bill 76, Gabriel and 1 other said thanks

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 827 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 07:14 PM

I typically use a razor blade.  Find a spot that isn't stuck real tight and get the blade under.  Then move the blade through like you're slicing the gasket off.  A bit of sawing motion.  Then using the blade perpendicular to the surface to scratch off any residue (almost like you're painting with the blade).  You don't need to remove stains - if the blade doesn't grab on it it's of no concern.  Of course you need to be patient so you don't gouge the surface.

Doesn't always work though.  I recently had a motorcycle engine where the bond between the gasket and the block was stronger than the gasket.  It took my assistant and me both working at it for 5+ hours to get it all off.  That's a job that usually takes one person a half hour to do.  No money was made that day.

• Alc, Gabriel, Marty'70 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 01:35 AM

I'm replacing the crankcase gasket on a Briggs and Stratton engine that has an aluminum block and crankcase cover. I used a putty knife and small razor blade to remove as much of the gasket as I could, but it's hard to remove all traces of the gasket using these tools (which they can't seem to do anyway) and not damage the aluminum. Any suggestions on a better way? Thanks in advance.

Yes I have a way, 3M makes round pads for your air die grinder . They are yellow , made of plastic and have long yellow fingers on them. They have them at walmart,there is a couple different colors. But they are made just for doing gaskets on aluminum . That is what we use at caterpillar
  • Cvans, Gabriel and MiCarl have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:20 AM

Thanks Gary yz forgot that they even make these , for those with bad memory like me or never heard of them here's what they look like  

http://3mcollision.c...bristle-brushes

• KennyP, adamjd200, Gabriel and 1 other said thanks

#10 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 11:16 PM

spray on gasket remover then follow up with razor blade--makes one heck of a mess and has to be washed off also hard on your skin

maybe just dab some on with a q-tip to the trouble spots.Stay away from scotch brite disc and bristle disc that fit in die grinder they will remove metal--seen lot of parts ruined with them things. 

Also if anyone has a way of getting off dry silicone let me know. 

When I was in votech back in high school we used a type of these that was green and felt like Velcro, you would have had to put a lot of pressure on that before it would do any damage, the air was regulated around 15-20psi, this mehtod worked really good.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#11 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 09:54 PM

3M Scotch-Brite rolocs.  Using them today removing gaskets from aluminum intake manifold.

• 1964Deere said thank you

#12 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 239 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 10:34 PM

3M Scotch-Brite rolocs.  Using them today removing gaskets from aluminum intake manifold.

Ditto here, the white ones (softest) I use on aluminum. The green and yellow ones are stiffer and I use them on steel parts to remove gasket material.