• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,502 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 10:22 AM

A couple of weeks ago we went down to South Mills, NC to take a Christmas tree to my dad's grave, he died on my brother's 18th birthday when I was 12, that was Dec. 21, 1964. We had moved to VA by then, he worked in the Norfolk Ford plant.

Many years later they built a bypass that has a tall bridge over the canal, while crossing that bridge the other day, I looked down on the little farm where I grew up. The old red barn and farm house don't look as big as when I was 8. When I think of Christmas as a child, I go there, My old Spitz/ collie mix, Trixie running across the yard, chickens scattering, cow mooing. I see our mail man, Wade raising dust coming up the dirt lane bringing Christmas cards from friends and relatives all over. Going out with my late brother to shoot at birds with my old Daisy lever action, hoping Santa will bring me a new Crossman pump. Smell the pines in the thicket across the pasture, and maybe a whiff of dad's two old sows he kept because he liked pigs. 

I see our family in that big old dining room with a big table covered in every kind of food you could imagine, and 20 plus people sitting all over the house, eating, laughing and telling stories. The old wood and coal stoves crackling away, smoke dropping down by the windows covered in moisture and cold to the touch.

Christmas lives forever in that old farm house, in my heart...

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DougT and 19 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 10:57 AM

It's odd going back to a house you were real little in growing up. We moved from a single wide trailer to a house when I was 4. I remember that house being HUGE. My bedroom was so big. We moved out a couple years later and moved around a bit.

I went back in that house a couple years ago. The people who were living there were having a moving sale and I told them I lived there 25 years ago and would like to see the inside again. I was amazed at how small it was. I couldn't believe it.
  • Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,868 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 11:05 AM

I remember  being five years old, scraping a hole in the frost on the single pane window in my bedroom and seeing Venus in the black of the early morning sky and believing in the Star of Bethlihem .

• Gtractor, Alc, JDBrian and 4 others have said thanks

#4 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 11:13 AM

Great story Toppop.. Yes all the memories of ,, ( The good old days )..

• Alc, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Yes, great story. Brings back many of the same memories. I was just fixing up the old coal fireplace in the house my grandfather built in 1920, today. Lots of memories. Thanks for the story.

Noel
  • Gtractor, HANKG and toppop52 have said thanks

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 01:35 PM

You could publish that one Toppop
  • propane1 and toppop52 have said thanks

#7 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 04:12 PM

One of the fondest memories I have of the old days - approx. 1969-70 , I would have been 9 or 10 .

I was staying over at Grandma's place . Her house was built in a pine forest and it was winter with a blizzard blowing the snow thru the pines . It was so peaceful.

I can still hear the sound when I think of it . I told her of this before she passed away and have since come to find out that my Sister and Brother hear the same thing in their memories. Many years the Christmas party was held there on X-mas Eve. But that one night sleeping over during a blizzard stands forever in my memories.

Edit: I remember getting out of bed and going to the window ... just sat there watching the snow blow thru the trees and listening to the way it sounded.

Edited by MGP59DB, December 22, 2015 - 07:34 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 05:20 PM

It is amazing how a sound or smell can come to define all your fondest memories for so long! There is something about winter and heavy snow that always brings peaceful thoughts to mind, that silence that happens with a snowstorm and the little faint sounds that stand out so much. Winter is depressing for me until the ground turns white, then it is the best time of year. All the years turmoil bleeds away and a feeling of calm takes hold only to melt with the spring and the cycle continues!
  • Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#9 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:01 PM

I too have fond memories of being at my grandparents house when I was young (6 - 8 years old).  One of the things I remembered most was sleeping at night when it was raining and listening to the rain hit their tin roof. That was some real good sleeping.

• Gtractor, Alc, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Through my 7th Christmas we lived on a farm in Ohio. I was an only child, and an only grandchild for Mom's mother, so... yeah, spoiled rotten. I got John Deere cast toys from my dad's sister whose family owned a dealership in Kentucky, and had a whole barnyard of rubber chickens, cows, sheep and sows. Dad worked at a lumber and construction company and I remember mom asking for a flower box one year. He made her a beautiful box with joinery and all. Neighbors all around came to help with planting and harvest. It was good.
  • Gtractor, Alc, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#11 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,502 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 08:04 PM

I remember an ice storm when we lived there, the sound of huge pines snapping like twigs and the powdery snow that fell on top of the ice, rising up like smoke when they hit the ground.
  • Gtractor, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#12 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,502 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 08:07 PM

You could publish that one Toppop

You're very kind Hank, but it's not talent, just memories.

#13 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 01:29 PM

This reminds me of that older gentleman on  PBS .. Telling the story of his childhood , growing up on the farm in rural Wis.  It will bring some tears listening of his tales as a little boy ,and similar things that I too encountered  growing up..

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks