• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:52 PM

It's obvious it's a matter of time before where you live gets swallowed up.  Maybe you can make the move to Ky in time.

Do you have problems with people just walking over onto your place?  

We haven't had problem yet but I keep everything locked down and I make random trips at night to check on everything. They are building another subdivision across the street and the property next door just sold. The biggest problem my mom worried about is my dad finding a job but he drove a tow truck ten years in Kentucky and another ten years here I don't think it will be to hard.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:54 PM

Lots of tow truck businesses here, so he shouldn't have any problem getting work.

• bbuckler said thank you

#18 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Only drones that have a longer range (and I don't know what that number is) has to be registered.

I saw one over the weekend that probably would fit inside of a coffee cup. I bet you could really torment the cat with that one!

• Gtractor and bbuckler have said thanks

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 07:18 PM

I'm trying to right now but their website keeps having errors.

TV said the first 10 days the registration is free. They're probably swamped.

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 07:37 PM

The current regulations, would not allow me to operate a drone legally on my 9 acres. You can not fly over 300ft in altitude and within 5 miles of an airport They must only be flown in line of sight.. I live 4 1/2 miles NW of Newton Municipal Airport and in the glide path of the main runway. So legally could not fly on my property.

The drones are fascinating but are going to stir up a lot of trouble before things all settle down and regulation resolved. They have been shot down for invasion of privacy. Resulting in the shooter facing fedral charges for shooting at aircraft. Flying over federal property can result in investigation of terror threats, The list goes on and on.

Would like to have one, but am waiting till they get things sorted out. Too old to get into legal trouble, over a toy.

• Gtractor said thank you

#21 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 07:40 PM

I live 2 miles from the airport and 1 mile from the military base I guess I need to find him a place to fly.

Lot easier to fly than Rc Helicopters.

Edited by bbuckler, December 21, 2015 - 07:41 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#22 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:40 PM

My son bought one, about $600, has a nice camera, good range, easy to fly. I can look out my family room window and see north south runway at our airport, probably 300 Yds. He wanted to bring it when they come for Christmas, so he checked the rules. You have to call the tower and tell them you're general flight plan and timing, fly at less than 300', and stay out of runway access space.
  • bbuckler said thank you

#23 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 10:58 PM

Drones are neat. My dad just bought one. He hasn't flown it yet as the wind has been up.

Have to register 'all" of them? NOT! I want to get one someday, but looking at the "toy" ones offered now, they are neat. How about the little ones that fit in your hand?? I bought helicopters last year and found them really kinda hard to fly. One in house was easiest, bigger one outside was hard.

I got big into rc planes and helicopters 5 years ago. I started with a small 4 channel dual rotor. I could fly it like crazy. Then I went to a 6 channel capable of 3d flight.

I fired that thing up and it sounded like a real helicopter. I wanted to do some easy take off spin around and sit it down. Ok so on my little copters its was always up force when you throttle up. Throttle down and it would slowly come down. On this one 1 to 50% throttle was down flight. 51 to 100 was up. So I took off. Flew about 10' up leveled off and hovered. Spun it left right moved forward and back. Went to land and went to about 25% throttle and it slammed into the ground.

Paid 800 for the copter did 200 in damage to it in a 10 minute flight. I crashed that thing so many times trying to learn how to do tick tocks and flying inverted

Finally after rebuilding it a dozen times I gave up. Each crash was 200 bucks worth of damage.

The planes were the same way. Foam 4 channel. Got good at it. Bought a 6 channel that would do all kinds of cool tricks. Got it out and took off. It was a 100 times faster. I never crashed it but came so close. I loved flying it straight up till it stalled out. It would fall over backwards plunge towards the ground. Hammer the throttle and fly it out. Barrel rolls loops ect were fun.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 21, 2015 - 10:59 PM.

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#24 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:17 AM

My nephew flying yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4858.JPG
  • IMG_4880.JPG
  • IMG_4888.JPG
  • IMG_4889.JPG
  • IMG_4890.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#25 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 01:43 PM

Got the new FAA phone app. There is 3 airport in my area (Airport, ER Helipad , Military Airfield). I can't fly because of the military airfield. 

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 03:24 PM

The registration of these drones reminds me of back in the 70's when CB's started coming on strong. FCC said we had to register them. Don't think that lasted a year. There were so many CB's out there and they were changing hands like hand balls. FCC finally gave up. Wondering if the same thing is going to happen with the drones?

Funny thing is I can still remember the our call numbers.