#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 02:08 PM

Sorry, I missed the W in Worth.

I know absolutely nothing about Kubota.  Very few around this part of the country.  Had a guy call that has a B1700 for sale.  Don't know the year, 4WD, good tires, Cat.1 3 point, 60" deck, hydro, been sitting inside.  Over all he said it was in good condition. 

Has 3 cyl diesel with a cracked block.  Forgot to winterize it last winter.  He don't have the time or know how to part it out.  I have not seen it yet.  He is asking around $500 he thought. ( which means he will take less).

Can these be re-motored with something else, due to the high price of Kubota engines?

How hard is it to move parts off these tractors?

Found very few listed on CL in the Midwest.  Means they are good tractors and don't break down if taken care of or not that popular an item.

I have good luck with BAR'S stop leak but it has to be used right.  Assuming the engine cannot be saved, what is a fair price to buy this tractor?  Have to take his word on everything as nothing can be tested before getting it home.  Only about 30 miles from home.

Edited by chieffan, December 21, 2015 - 02:10 PM.

• Dieselcubmike and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 02:34 PM

$500 seems fair if all appears good. The block might be salvageable depending on where the crack is. Maybe just requiring sleeving. As to parting values, I have no idea.
  • boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 02:50 PM

The deck and attaching hardware is worth the asking, imo.

Winterize the block? WTH? Take out the water and actually use coolant/antifreeze? 3M window film kit?
  • WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:12 PM

The deck and attaching hardware is worth the asking, imo.

Winterize the block? WTH? Take out the water and actually use coolant/antifreeze? 3M window film kit?

Thought he had but found out the hard way he didn't.  That is water cooled you know.    Before Antifreeze, we used to drain everything dry.  When we needed to use it filled it with hot water and went.  Might be before your time though.  Will see how it checks out.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:23 PM

Before Antifreeze, we used to drain everything dry.  When we needed to use it filled it with hot water and went.  Might be before your time though.  

The other day Dad was talking about this.  Grandpa never used antifreeze.  He'd fill radiator with water, go to town, then open the petcock when he got home.  I still have a can or 2 of alcohol coolant used way back when.

• Dieselcubmike and chieffan have said thanks

#6 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 308 Thanks
  • 240 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:38 PM

I see a lot of cracked blocks that have been fixed where I live,even chunks put back that didn't leak! they use a DC welder reverse polarity and peheat the parts, a good welding shop can do this, them are real good tractors if not the best (my girl says they are the wrong color orange, AC diehard she is) I'd buy it if I was closer and you didn't want it cus Thiers a bunch of em here and people like them to death (as in worked to death) fix or part its a good deal
  • boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:54 PM

sounds like a good deal but if they don't have sense enough to use antifreeze in engine you have to wonder how the rest of machine was maintained if at all...I would definitely go and look! The corrosion inhibitors alone in antifreeze is reason enough to use the product.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 04:08 PM

I agree that if not all beat up and lower hours that $500 would be more than fair. Try to start/drive it, just don't let it run to long.

There is a guy who advertises running Kubota diesel motors out of Chicago (Craig's list, can't find an ad now) in the $700-900 range. Simple repower and have a great tractor for less than 2 grand.

Check this out: http://www.tractorho...TA&MDLGrp=B1700

They are popular around here and keep their value.

• boyscout862, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#9 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 04:27 PM

If coolant isn't in the oil just have it stitched --If the crack is accessible you don't even have to pull the engine--or buy a stitching kit and be prepared to drill and tap  lots of holes.    

To me $500 is a steal

• boyscout862, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:39 PM

The other day Dad was talking about this.  Grandpa never used antifreeze.  He'd fill radiator with water, go to town, then open the petcock when he got home.  I still have a can or 2 of alcohol coolant used way back when.

I remember that alcohol coolant, and the round cardboard container of silver seal with the metal ends when you got a leak.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:41 PM

7100 is older model isn't it?  2 cyl then? Think the 3's are better. I've seen lots of things re-powered with those engines, so maybe they outlasted the tractors??  There is the "gray market" of tractors with web sites and buying places, maybe that is cheaper for engine?  Popularity is gonna keep the prices up I suppose.  Probly no frame to put another kind in either then either??

• chieffan said thank you

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:44 PM

Cheifan, I've used lots of those over my lifetime. Still can get in silver and gold and maybe other types. Alumiseal is what I'm thinking of. Sometimes worked, not always.  The one with the Balls was better, but often wonder how they broke down, you never know what happens once it is poured thru cap!  AND, really have to fix the Real problem anyway to make it be correct.

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:37 PM

If coolant isn't in the oil just have it stitched --If the crack is accessible you don't even have to pull the engine--or buy a stitching kit and be prepared to drill and tap  lots of holes.    

To me $500 is a steal

OK.  What is a stitching kit ?  I know blocks can be welded, and like was mentioned heat it up good first then weld with DC voltage.

I have used Bars Stop Leak and had good results with it.  Had a 350 Chevy in a van that had a water leak to the oil.  Not sure where it was but suspected the block as head gaskets were replaced.  Put a full bottle of Bars stop leak in and took off.  35 miles to the Interstate than another 150 miles at 75 mph. with the radiator half covered.  Temp stayed just under the hot mark by a little.  Never leaked a bit after that.  Got to get that engine HOT to dissolve the pellets.

Going to look a the Kubota in a day or so. Make it look like I know what I am doing but neither one of knows anything about them.

• olcowhand said thank you

#14 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,149 Thanks
  • 1,211 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:48 PM

Depending on how bad the crack is Irontite may seal it as well - I have seen it work miracles on coolant leaks - just a suggestion.

http://www.irontite....2&reviews_id=13

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:55 PM

7100 is older model isn't it?  2 cyl then? Think the 3's are better. I've seen lots of things re-powered with those engines, so maybe they outlasted the tractors??  There is the "gray market" of tractors with web sites and buying places, maybe that is cheaper for engine?  Popularity is gonna keep the prices up I suppose.  Probly no frame to put another kind in either then either??

Not sure gl.  He said it was a 3 cyl.  Where are the numbers located to get the year in case the hour meter is broke?  Will grab a bunch of photos when I look at it.  Going that way after a Cub tomorrow afternoon so plan to stop by on the way back home.