24 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 01:20 PM

My wife wanted me to pick out a new pair of shoes for Christmas. I like new balance shoes. They fit my feet but they only hold up to my abuse for about 6 months. She dragged me around the mall for 3 hours trying on all these shoes that didn't fit me right or were flat out ugly.

She got mad at me and said I was way too picky about shoes. She wanted me to get 120 dollar pair of nike shoes that did not fit me right and got my mad at me when I said I didn't want them.

Am I the only one? My feet have high arches and are oddly in between a wide and a regular. New balance fit me perfectly.
  • olcowhand, hamman, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 01:31 PM

I feel fortunate to not have the wife issue, but it does get lonely at times. I have high arches and short wide feet. It takes a bit to find shoes that fit and a lot of times, they fit great in the store but not so well several days later. Got a pair  of NB right now that fit great when I tried them on. But after wearing them most of the day, they seem too short. Don't know how they shrunk yet!

• grnspot110, toomanytoys84 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 01:48 PM

I never go shoe shopping with my wife takes too long. I can buy a pair of shoes in 10 minutes or less. My favorite shoes are Rockport, they are soft and comforting on these old feet. Boots I like wolverine.

• Alc, toomanytoys84 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 01:53 PM

Isn't their some kind of scanner that can analyze your feet and show you what shoes will fit best? They used to x ray your feet  for finding the right shoe years ago but stopped doing that for some odd reason.

Howsa come every time you mention your wife,the sentence ends with"she got mad at me"?

• MH81, Alc, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 01:59 PM

Isn't their some kind of scanner that can analyze your feet and show you what shoes will fit best? They used to x ray your feet for finding the right shoe years ago but stopped doing that for some odd reason.

Howsa come every time you mention your wife,the sentence ends with"she got mad at me"?

Ha-ha probably cause she is always mad at me. I'm hard to live with!

I wear a 12 but a 12D is too narrow and a 12E is too wide. So I usually have to buy the wide and lace it a bit tighter than I usually would.

The new balance are closer than most. Nike are way too narrow in the standard and way too wide in the wide.

I prefer boots but my knee bothers me when I wear my boots. I have a pair of Irish setter slip ons that are amazing but make my knee throb

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 21, 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 02:18 PM

New Balance are the only ones that feel right on me as well.  Makes shoe shopping "man easy".

• WNYTractorTinkerer, dodge trucker and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 02:19 PM

No need to buy shoes that ARE NOT comfortable. If your feet hurt, your back hurts and if your back hurts, EVERYTHING hurts!

I am on my feet 10 hours a day and I have to have really good work boots.

Tennies are a little different...only because I am not on my feet as much wearing them!

• Alc, dodge trucker, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:22 PM

I wear Wolverine work boots daily.  Leisure I have the tennis shoes with arch support inserts.  One or the other.  Nothing in between.  Used to wear HH boots all the time but their quality has gone down hill and warranty is up to each store.  Have to send them in and wait a month for their decision.  Nope, no more of that.

• dodge trucker and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:29 PM

Rockport shoes.. They are very durable and comfortable. I wear them in the shop most of the time as well at work when its not snowing. Best to buy them at a outlet store where they are only about $80.,,likely less in the US
these gems

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, December 21, 2015 - 03:38 PM.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#10 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:49 PM

I am very picky about my shoes as well. With my EEEE wide feet and stupid high arches and oh yeah squirrely ankles finding shoes that actually fit well is sometimes only a dream. Seems like when I find a good pair they quit making them. Good luck and stick to your guns. They are your feet aren't they?

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:03 PM

I hate shopping for shoes, normally if I find a brand I like I'll get 3-4 pairs at once so they last me a couple years, seems like when ever you find a good one you like they discontinue it next time you go looking for them :wallbanging:

• Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:51 PM

I have a terrible time finding shoes wide enough.  EEE are barely wide enough, and often have to buy a size larger for a comfortable fit.  I pretty much gave up on tennis shoes, so wear my leather work boots or muck boots depending on weather here on the farm, and Dr Scholls  dress shoes.

• grnspot110, KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:04 PM

I have a terrible time finding shoes wide enough.  EEE are barely wide enough, and often have to buy a size larger for a comfortable fit.  I pretty much gave up on tennis shoes, so wear my leather work boots or muck boots depending on weather here on the farm, and Dr Scholls  dress shoes.

I have to go to the EEE's also. Most all shoes are made by oriental folks with little feet!

• olcowhand, grnspot110 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:50 PM

It is usually best for me to shop by myself. When I shop, I don't take time for browsing, which can cause a fallout til we are done shopping.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#15 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,870 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:11 PM

Yup, short, wide feet with high arches are a pain (most of the time). For work boots I like Ropers, men's size 6. Can't find a woman's so-called work boot to fit. As far as fashion, that train left a long time ago. If they can't see the person past my jeans and boots, well, I really don't care.
  • olcowhand, Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks