• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:14 AM

Some years ago, my BIL bought a 212 JD lawn tractor c/w mowing deck and rear tiller. After nearly two decades of loyal service, the starter on the original engine burnt out. JD wanted twice what the tractor was worth at the time for a replacement starter. The local generator, starter, Alternator repair shop told him the started was a writeoff. This was just before the days of effective networking on the 'net, so he parked it and bought a newer JD to replace it. The accessories for the older tractor do not fit the new one.

He gave the 212 to me in trade for some yard work. Apparently, the starter burned out because the original engine oil fouled the spark plug and his kids burned the started out trying to start it.

A little research and I found a $300 13 HP Chicom Honda knockoff to repower it.
P1050577.JPG

The latest issue is the carb on the Chicom engine has a needle /seat issue and it floods the crankcase with fuel.

the question is: are parts readily available for these Chicom engines or should I just replace the carb with one off the spare engine I have laying around?

Remember, these engines are available for $300 - $500 new in the box ready to run. A $20 needle and seat are within reason. A $150 repair might be border line. any more than that and I will just rip the old one out and replace the engine. I have a 14 year old son with his own tools and workspace who loves to tear stuff apart to see how it works.....

Edited by camdigger, December 21, 2015 - 05:15 AM.

• Alc, Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 07:30 AM

I think the answer is yes, or no, or maybe.  At least that's what I run into in the motorcycle world.

What I find is that parts are available but they're not real good about changing part numbers when the part gets changed.  In other words, the part number gives you function but not necessarily exact fit.

In the motorcycle world you can get a carburetor for about $35.  Not sure what is out there for the engines like yours.

Personally, if I had a carburetor laying around that would bolt up that is the way I'd go.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:08 AM

It sounds like your tractor has the starter generator system.  There are all kinds of them out there, I have 4 myself ready to run.  If the ones off the Wisconsin's don't turn the right direction, the ones off the cub cadets turn the opposite way so one or the other should work for you, unless you have some other type of set up.

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,676 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Is it possible to go back to the original engine? The starters are out there.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 10:01 AM

I dont believe service parts are available unless you buy from them direct, no L&G dealer will be able to order/carry parts for those and most wont work on them or service them.

I think you would be much happier with the original engine which was made to last. I would offer to beat the price on the starter but you being in canada would probably put me at the same price with shipping lol :D

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Check Ebay for a Honda GX390 Carburetor.You can use a few of genuine Honda parts on a Clone.The carbs are one of them.

They're around $20 US shipped for a carb.

http://www.ebay.com/...0 carb&_sacat=0

I do agree that it would be better to put the Original engine back in If all it needs is a starter.

• Cvans said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:38 AM

It the engine runs OK and the only problem is getting fuel in the oil while it is sitting why not just put a fuel shutoff valve on it and be done.  A cheap easy fix and in the mean time see about getting a new starter for the old engine.

#8 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:12 PM

It sounds like your tractor has the starter generator system.  There are all kinds of them out there, I have 4 myself ready to run.  If the ones off the Wisconsin's don't turn the right direction, the ones off the cub cadets turn the opposite way so one or the other should work for you, unless you have some other type of set up.

Nope. The original engine was tired enough that it was oil fouling the spark plugs. To me that means valve guides or rings. A major tear down in itself for me.

That was the cause of the burned out 1100$ starter.

First stop a carb kit. Alternate solution 1 would be to swap the carb out. Alt 2 would be a whole engine swap. Alt 3 would be a new in box Chicom engine.

All of the above would be pennies on the dollar compared to genuine JD parts which I was already quoted to be in the thousands for parts alone much less labor which currently is running at a premium.

#9 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 991 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:28 PM

I am not a JD guy but I think your original motor is a k301 Kohler that parts and replacement engines should be readily available for you. I may be wrong about this but I know that most of the guys would say that the Kohler is a much better motor. Getting parts from JD is always expensive but for the motor you shouldn't be looking to them, you could find a used tractor possibly with a bad tranny or electrics for pretty cheap, most likely less than that clone. Many of us would be more than happy to give support and advice for you to be able to do an engine swap!

#10 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 09:15 AM

Parts to rebuild original available - check. extortionate prices, but widely available.
Time to do said rebuild - not at present, long story, but reader's digest version is too busy making a living....
Ability to do said repairs/restorations - I have most of the skills and have access to knowledge here and elsewhere. I have many friends with a wide range of expertise including a Bonified certified JD partsman
Other problems with OEM systems - yes fuel system and wiring harness pooched from 3 decades of abuse.

Any of the Chicom alternatives can be done pennies on the dollar vs OEM rebuilds or repairs. This is a work tractor not a frame up restoration. The original Kohler is a clapped out POS.

This tractor holds NO sentimental value for me.
It may hold sentimental value for others. So be it. Make me an genuine cash offer or keep your sentimentality to yourself. Otherwise, the tractor belongs to me to do with as I see fit.... Silk purses, Sow's ears. Eye of the beholder. yada yada yada.

Edited by camdigger, December 22, 2015 - 09:17 AM.

• Cvans said thank you