Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bad eyes pay off.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Either earlier this year of last my good old Gateway monitor died a sudden death. It was a 21" old style square monitor.  So I picked up an AOC 20" thinking it would be about the same.  Wrong!  I also developed floaters around the same time period and it has been a pain to read post's or articles online ever since.  So we saw a 24" Dell on sale and we had an in store return so now I have a nice bit 24" monitor and can see things very nicely now! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 10 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 08:39 PM

[font size=1] Glad you got a new monitor, now we can make the print smaller to save server space[/font]
  • KennyP, HDWildBill, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 08:46 PM

My last monitor was an AOC and it was awful.  Had a slight blur which I thought was just me now that I wear glasses, but Teresa kept saying it didn't look right.  I bought a 22" JVC flat panel TV to use as a monitor, and it's clear as a bell!  I'll never buy another AOC!

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 08:49 PM

My last monitor was an AOC and it was awful.  Had a slight blur which I thought was just me now that I wear glasses, but Teresa kept saying it didn't look right.  I bought a 22" JVC flat panel TV to use as a monitor, and it's clear as a bell!  I'll never buy another AOC!

Not excusing a bad monitor, but I've seen cheapie ones react that way with certain refresh rates.
Like the card is outputting 60 and the monitor really works best with 55 or 75... That kind of thing
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 09:47 PM

Not excusing a bad monitor, but I've seen cheapie ones react that way with certain refresh rates.
Like the card is outputting 60 and the monitor really works best with 55 or 75... That kind of thing

I tried all settings available but no improvement. Then I may not have done it right.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 11:04 PM

Those floaters are serious trouble. Do you know what caused them? Martha gets them when she bumps her head. The Opthamologist said that if a certain condition happens we have to get to the VA ASAP. TARGET has a 32" TV for $150 this week. It should make a good monitor for her. Ricky is using one of their 40" tvs on his computor. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP said thank you

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:01 AM

I could never get the brightness and contrast right and there were no adjustments on the monitor. It just has an auto adjust feature that does not work for me.

Rick, I had my eye doctor check it out, its a vitreous detachment so now once in a while I what looks like a water droplet in my left eye. I don't notice it much any more and it doesn't bother me.  The doctor told me about the surgery to correct it and I think I'll just live with the water droplet.  We also picked up a 32" at Best Buy for $139 for out work out room so now I have to get my butt in there and work out. :oh_shucks:   :boo_hoo:

• KennyP, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:14 AM

And I thought my 20" monitor was big! :wallbanging:

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:08 AM

I could never get the brightness and contrast right and there were no adjustments on the monitor. It just has an auto adjust feature that does not work for me.

Rick, I had my eye doctor check it out, its a vitreous detachment so now once in a while I what looks like a water droplet in my left eye. I don't notice it much any more and it doesn't bother me.  The doctor told me about the surgery to correct it and I think I'll just live with the water droplet.  We also picked up a 32" at Best Buy for $139 for out work out room so now I have to get my butt in there and work out. :oh_shucks:   :boo_hoo:

Hi Bill

I still use a 17" on my desktop. I don't know what the limit would be but I'm thinking 40" would be too big to fit on my desk top. I remember when a big TV was 26"!  

Those vitreous attachments are quite common as folks age. My wife and a friend of ours have both had trips to the Ophthalmologist in the last month for that very thing. My wife has decided to just live with hers as well. 

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:16 AM

We have a 42" Plasma TV that is great for the outdoor shows and sports but I don't think I would want anything over 21" for a monitor.  Got an ACER P215h on sale a couple years ago and really like it.  Nice clear letters with no blurring.  Now to get a keyboard the will follow my mind rather than the stiff arthritic fingers.  Maybe I need to pull some more wrenches to limber them up  ? ?

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:19 AM

first time i got a floater I thought it was a speck of ash following me around...or a "no see 'em.  Finally described to the wife what I was swatting at relentlessly..she clued me in.  They are the result of too many birthdays ,,,not a issue unless you start to see more, as in a dozen,i only see one or two.

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:31 AM

first time i got a floater I thought it was a speck of ash following me around...or a "no see 'em.  Finally described to the wife what I was swatting at relentlessly..she clued me in.  They are the result of too many birthdays ,,,not a issue unless you start to see more, as in a dozen,i only see one or two.

When it happened it was weird part was it appeared as a big black spot in the upper left hand corner of my eye.  Like you I thought I had gotten something in it so I used some eye drops and it cleared up.  Then two days later the water drop appeared and has stayed. 

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:33 AM

I have "floaters" as well. Would sooner put up with them than trust the "cure".

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:45 AM

From the way the doctor described the "Cure"  that would not even be an option.

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 04:59 PM

I have a Samsung 21" I've had since 2008. At work I have 3 dell 24". They are nice monitors.