• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 04:09 PM

Looking around on the computer i found  a video, yes on youtube  of someone changing the rear seal. on a bolens 1050. And after watching it.... "hell during it" I was wondering if this is the real /right way to do this ,The video in question was posted by Offroader94 On oct  13 2013.   I don't think this was posted by one of are members. I have seen some of the members videos , and well ????  If  any  one has seen it or does look at it please give me / us  your Professional Opinion .. I just hate to see some one followed this video and it not be correct. And no it's not me .

Patrick

Bolens: Once we were few , Now we are Many

Bolens  lives matter.

Edited by Little Irish Men, December 20, 2015 - 04:28 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 04:39 PM

I was always taught to use the machine screw method like the one below

• Chubien, Little Irish Men and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 04:49 PM

His method for removing the old seal is wrong, prying the seal against the casting is a bad idea as you damage the mating surface where the seal sits.

I have always done it by the method described above using machine screws, I have done one 1050 and two 850's so far with no issues.

Also, I'm not sure why he hammered that hub back in there, but mine always slid right back in with everything properly aligned.
  • Bolens 1000 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 04:56 PM

There are plenty of people out there that love to make videos of how they think things should be done. Unfortunately most people I have found that like to make videos are the same people I wouldn't trust to change a light bulb! This is not to say they are all bad but there is no substitute for a service manual and a bit of mechanical know how. Just my opinion but if the manufacturer left it up to youtube then there would a lot fewer functioning machines out there!
  • Bolens 1000, KennyP, Little Irish Men and 1 other said thanks

#5 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 06:16 PM

There are plenty of people out there that love to make videos of how they think things should be done. Unfortunately most people I have found that like to make videos are the same people I wouldn't trust to change a light bulb! This is not to say they are all bad but there is no substitute for a service manual and a bit of mechanical know how. Just my opinion but if the manufacturer left it up to youtube then there would a lot fewer functioning machines out there!

As I am learning, the manual, know how, and some expert advice go a long way
  • Little Irish Men said thank you

#6 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 09:10 PM

Thank you for saying it  like that . If I said it  I would have a butt  load of points.

Patrick.