help from the governor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:02 PM

Actually, I need help with the governor , and throttle linkage. As discussed in another topic I have an 8HP horizontal B&S engine on a Bolens G9. The carb and air cleaner were missing when I bought the Bolens. I now have a carb for it. Before I found the carb I took some parts off the engine to clean them. I removed the lever from the governor shaft that sticks out of the engine block without marking it first. The lever will fit onto the shaft at any angle. I am trying to figure out a starting point for reinstalling the lever. The shaft is split, having a screw-driver slot in the end, that I can/could have used for reference. The governor works pulling the throttle down ( towards idle) as engine rpms increase, right? So, with the throttle on the carb at idle, I should install the lever and link with the least amount of tension, right? Thanks for any help.

• boyscout862 and Josephkasy have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,454 Thanks
  • 7,342 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:42 PM

Download the B&S Repairmans' Manual from our Manuals Section. There is a section that tells how to properly adjust the governor from this situation. Do not push the shaft inward! You will have to turn it all the way to the left or right to start. Take your time and be gentle. Good Luck, Rick

Try this one   http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/

Edited by boyscout862, December 20, 2015 - 01:46 PM.

• KennyP, Chopperhed and Paulgo have said thanks

#3 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 841 Thanks
  • 706 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Should be straight up and down as a starting point, and it should just hold the throttle wide open when it is shut off
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,456 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 07:26 PM

These don't move much at all, but makes a diff what way it is held. The two light springs on the throttle fulcrum below are important too on which holes they mount in and not being stretched out. Manuals do show these things, you just have to pick out the pix that match your model and systems.

#5 DennyIN OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 07:32 PM

With that title, I almost said you can have Indiana's...... :rocker2:

#6 thom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 01:09 AM

After studying what I could find it seems the thing to do is hold the throttle on the carb wide open and turn the gov shaft full clockwise and tighten the lever there.I suppose that's where I will start.

• esbbent said thank you