#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 12:12 PM

I still have meter reader come by. Never looked at what I have in there, but think it is old style with turning wheel and such. My puter is on all the time, new water heater set lower, Boiler just needs control power. lights we keep normal. I get those letters too and always higher than neighbors, yet cheaper than year before, go figure. My bill is not high. I have a pool in summer and now a hot tub running all the time, don't notice too much bigger from those even.

• David Brown said thank you

#17 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 12:17 PM

The only thing that will effect your amount of usage is how and when you use the electricity.  Only thing we have that is propane is the dryer and and furnace.  Winter the furnace only runs one is in the morning usually.  Rest of the time the blower on the corn stove runs constantly and the blower on the fire place when we use it.  Winter have 5 electric water heaters for livestock, all small ones with thermostats. Don't use central AC unless it gets real hot.  Light bill don't vary much at during the season.  Winter is higher of course.  Washing is 90% cold water so no heater use.  Water heater wrapped in a blanket which I think makes a big difference.

Have to watch the power companies and the more you use the more $$ they get.  When I switched from Gas to electric water heater, they were going to take the blanket and I stopped them.  They kind of laughed and said they don't work.  I told them it was on the old heater and I want it on the new one.  They were giving me a new electric water heater for the old gas one so wanted me to use more electricity.  Another thing I did was put a 6 gal water heater under the kitchen sink also blanketed.  Otherwise hot water had to run from one end of the house to the other for hot water.  Now it is instantly and we use less electricity and water.  Ok I'm through rambling.  Time to move on.

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, the meter is smarter than...
Oh, Hi Jeff... Didnt see you standing there.

Ok, yes, I freely admit the meter is smarter than I am and, Alan, you've known me long enough to know that you can call me anything but late for dinner.  That said, just because I have a digital meter doesn't necessarily mean I have a smart meter.  I'm quite sure I hear someone out there reading the meter every once in a while.  I saw smudges on the glass (or plastic) where someone was cleaning it off to get a reading.  That would mean (at least to me) that I don't have one.  I guess I'll wait to see what the one on my dads house looks like.

So, Alan, any word on my question that I messaged you a few days ago?

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:04 PM

Yes, working on it.
All will become clear soon

#20 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:06 PM

Yes, working on it.
All will become clear soon

Thanks.  Now I'm getting excited.  I can't wait till plow day at the Bell farm!

#21 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:12 PM

When we built the house four years ago we got the old style digital meter, then about a year later, they came and installed a smart meter. I can't say I've seen any difference except the little white pickup doesn't drive by slowly and point his reader at the house.

#22 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 06:27 PM

At some point in the last few months everyone around here got one. No one saw them install them they just appeared as if by magic. 

#23 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 06:37 PM

Ours was installed without our knowledge a couple years ago.. My wife said our hydro seems to have gone up since. She informed me there are petitions to have the smart meters removed . Google it,,all sorts of reasons/excuses....I have no opinion

Big Brother wants to know when you are drying your clothes or frying up chops?? Pretty much a endless supply or rhetoric.

#24 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 827 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 07:02 PM

We got one a couple years ago.

My wife has a fancy crock pot with digital programming - not just the high-medium-low-off knob.  She often puts dinner in it in the morning before going to work and it's ready when we get home.  If the power goes out for even a second though the crock pot stays off without some user intervention.

One day we came home and there was a tag on the door saying we'd got the new smart meter with a time stamp around 9:00AM.  In the kitchen was a crock pot with raw food.

That's the last time before now I've even thought about the meter.  No difference to our lives at all.

Now that I think about it I can probably stop clearing a path through the snow to the meter.  There probably isn't anyone using it anymore........

• MH81 and toppop52 have said thanks

#25 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 10:19 PM

No one around here even remembers a meter reader coming by for many years. I haveno idea when it was read before.

#26 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 11:56 PM

We have a digital meter, I guess it's smart?. We have had it for probably 5 years or so, our bill went down after they put it on, I have no complaints with it.

#27 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:22 AM

We have had a smart meter for years now , a few years ago the power co offered a " time of day " rate , you would pay more for M-F daytime but cheaper for 6pm to 5am and all weekend , sounded good for the first year then the second year the off peak rate was as high as if I didn't have a  " time of day" rate lol switched back and never looked into it again

#28 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 09:33 AM

Well guess what, the meter reader just happened to come and read my meter today so, I asked the question.  No, I do not have a smart meter yet which was painfully obvious since he was reading my meter.  He said it's coming and everyone will have one by 2018.  So, now I know.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks