#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 04:53 PM

So I have one if those!!! Gm trucks with a 5.3ltr engine and the small exhaust manifold bolts. I have been putting this of for the entire summer and finally had at it today. Wound up with the rear bolt closest to the firewall broke of flush and no way to get at it.
About 3 hours and a handful of nuts I got the bolt out, now I have one on the other side to tackle tomorrow morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20151219_163511596.jpg

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 05:04 PM

My Ford 351 has a manifold leak on the right side.  Hardly noticeable, but I need to put a gasket under it sooner or later.  Hope I don't have bolts break when I do it!

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Yeah there a pain to do. I did mine this summer. The left side I couldn't get the very back bolt out do to how the manifold sits way back into the firewall. Thank goodness there's a kit for that spot to beable to tighten the manifold up once the new gasket is changed.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#4 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,436 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 08:10 PM

I can't really tell what you are up against but I punched a 1" hole in firewall of chevy to get at transmission bolts. It was that or 5' of extensions and swivel joints....put plumbing plug in hole left behind..you think you could access easier from firewall with a extension???

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 10:24 PM

I had a bunch of nuts on hand and just kept welding them on what was left of the stud and turning on them, eventually the bolt got hot or loose enough or I just got one welded good enough to back the bolt out, the one on the pass side is sticking out of the head about 1/2" so I shouldn't have to much trouble there.  just a lot of patience and a little beer was all I needed :thumbs:

• TomLGT195 said thank you