Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Linux Mint ?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:36 PM

But is it bootable? There is a difference.  One way to find out is plug it and try to boot off it.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#62 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:12 PM

But is it bootable? There is a difference.  One way to find out is plug it and try to boot off it.

NOT bootable, tried that. It's a NTFS file system! I tried to install it's program, but it won't give me an option that this computer file system has.

• chieffan said thank you

#63 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:48 PM

Linux will read an NTFS drive but if they  are all files made by a backup program then you will need a program to unlock those files.  What backup program on windows did you use?  What are the file extentions? I might be able to find a program you can use to open those files.

Linux uses several file system the most common currently is the EXT4, I believe.  But I don't have mint installed so I can't tell you what they use.

#64 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 06:05 AM

The backup program is NTI Backup Now EZ V3. I can't get that to load as it looks for a Windows system. From what I can see, the 'Images' are .NBF files. 'Files' are .swm. We have a computer here with Win 7 on it, may be able to use it to get into this.

#65 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 07:07 AM

So far from my research Ark may be able to open the files.  Ark is the Archive program most common on Linux installations.  If you open your external drive with the file manager and select an NBF then right click and select open with ark see what happens.  If you can read the file names the just choose which files your want to tell it to extract them (Note you can tell it where to extract them too as well).  I don't have and NBF files to test this.  If it opens and you get what looks like gibberish then just close it back down.

It looks like NBF files are mainly used on the windows side or Nokia phones but I did see where they could be opened with a RAR or 7Zip programs and ARK will open a RAR or 7Zip file.

#66 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 07:20 AM

Thanks, Bill! I'll give it a whirl!

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#67 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Looked into your last advice and that didn't work either. But, I got to snooping through the files on there and I had copied a bunch of stuff from my old Documents folder on there. I was able to copy/paste those back on here. Over 31GB of files! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

May not be everything, but it's most of it! More snooping will take place!

#68 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 08:55 AM

My experience with a windows drive attached to a linux machine is that Linux will read it and you can access the data IF and only IF the Windows install shut down properly.  If Windows crashes or ??? Linux cannot read it.  

#69 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 09:05 AM

I'm just happy to have these files back. I'll still hook it up to the Win 7 puter. May see if it will take it to 8.1! If so, I can gleam some of the newer files from there!

Plus I will snoop more on the Ext. HD. It's a 1T so plenty of room on it to use up!

#70 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 02:00 PM

Kenny,  When you try to load a windows program into wine how are you doing it?  Twice you mentioned about programs that look for windows and would not load.  You can't just double click on the file and wine just loads it.  There are two ways to load a windows file into wine.  The easiest is to go to the file manger locate the file you want to load, high light it and right click.  On the menu there should be an option open with "wine windows program loader" with out quotes of course. then wine will kick in and try to load the installation program.  Once the application is installed then you can use it just like any other app on your computer.

The other way is to use PlayonLinux and when you get the window for adding an application just click "Other" on the category bar on top and navigate to the file.  This may be the best for you for the time being as it will also download any other library that wine may need to increase the chance of the app to run successfully. 

I had a similar experience a few years back with a backup program.  I had an HDD fail got a new HDD and got it back up and running.  Installed the backup app only to fine that somewhere along the lines they had changed the file format and it could not deal with my backup files. Since then when I backup my system I just basically do a copy and past of my home folder to the ext HD. PCLOS had a probgram called MyLiveCD which will make a bootable disc of your complete system for a back up.  From what I understand you can then take that image and use it to make another computer a mirror image or if there is a failure you can reinstall it from that image and have it right back to where is was when you took that image.  I haven't used it yet but I do need to play around with it.

• KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#71 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Bill, I am right clicking and choosing wine. The program starts to load, then gets to a spot and stops. On the backup program, it asks where to install the files with choices. But anything I pic there creates an error saying it can't create that file on the HD. Seems like it is trying to install it on the ext. HD. Tried PlayonLinux and got the same runaround.

My son is coming down this weekend and bringing his computer with XP on it. He was wanting to upgrade the OS. Gonna see if I can get the backup to work on it and set him up with 8.1.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#72 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 05:32 PM

It sounds like a permission's issue but not being able to see what is going on I can't say for sure. Do this open the file manager and it should by default open the home folder.  Click on view and select "show Hidden files"  next look for a folder .wine (the period in front of wine is important)  Open that folder and see if you see a folder called "drive C" Next right click on the folder and go to properties, a pop up window will appear.  Look on the second tab and see who the owner (user and group) should be your user name.  If it says anything else then that is where the issue is.

#73 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 05:40 PM

I was able to download and install a trial version. It did find the files. So I may be good to go for now. I don't feel like messing with it right now.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#74 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Just upgraded one of the Mint boxes to 17.3 Cinnamon and it was painless.  Much easier than any recent Windows update has gone down.  I'd recommend it if you have not already installed it.  (1.8ghz Quad Core Phenom, 4 gb ram and some other good parts make up this one but remember this is 6 year old technology too)

Edited by Trav1s, December 27, 2015 - 08:41 AM.

• HDWildBill, PGHsteelworker and chieffan have said thanks

#75 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 12:26 PM

I have noticed lately when I upload a pic, they have no color in them. On the puter, they do. Here's one I uploaded this morning. Supposed to be a yellow color. Looks B&W to me. Had some pics I took with the camera the other day that did the same thing. I deleted and reloaded the pics and they came out with color that time. Any ideas what's going on?