86 replies to this topic

#46 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 12:40 PM

What about running a virtual Windoze machine using Virtual Box.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#47 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 02:24 PM

After I posted the above and closed out the browser I saw a desktop icon for Sketcher, so all is good.

#48 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 03:00 PM

What about running a virtual Windoze machine using Virtual Box.

I am not that good yet!

• Trav1s and chieffan have said thanks

#49 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 03:08 PM

I am not that good yet!

Yea you are, you just don't know it yet! :D

• lyall, KennyP, Trav1s and 1 other said thanks

#50 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 03:14 PM

attachicon.gifSketchup.jpeg

Sketchup has always been a hit and miss for me with wine.  But here is how I installed it.  Go to the software center and install PlayonLinux.  Launch PlayonLinux on the left side you will see a link "install a program" without the quotes.  Click on it and you will get a new window with app categories at the top.  In the search text box type in Sketchup and a link will appear in the box below.  Click on it and a new window will appear with all this info about PlayonLinux read it check the box for it not to appear again and click next, there will be another page with more info do the same.  Next tell it to install Sketchup, PlayonLinux will probably do some downloading with wine first to set it up correctly and get the any needed wine programs.  Then it will install Sketchup.

One issue I found is that it doesn't put it on the start menu like Wine does.  I had to launch PlayonLinux and tell it to launch Sketchup but I'll work on that because all Playonlinux does is launch a script so if I copy that and make a menu entry that should do it.  But if you really want Sketchup that is how to do it. 

On a side note: I tried to use Winetricks to install it and it acted like it was installed but I could not find the installation any where so I'm not sure what is going on with that.

Where's the software center? I just tried to search for it and came up empty!

• chieffan said thank you

#51 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 03:51 PM

Software center is kind of generic name for the program that manages you software.  In your case it is called Software Manager and on you start menu it is the second button on the left just under the FF icon.  I checked and PlayonLinux is available in Mint.

In PCLOS the Software center is called Synaptic. In Ubuntu I believe it is called the Software center.  The bottom line is all Linux distro's have some kind of software (or package) manager that allows you to install and uninstall software (or Packages).

#52 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:02 PM

Software center is kind of generic name for the program that manages you software.  In your case it is called Software Manager and on you start menu it is the second button on the left just under the FF icon.  I checked and PlayonLinux is available in Mint.

In PCLOS the Software center is called Synaptic. In Ubuntu I believe it is called the Software center.  The bottom line is all Linux distro's have some kind of software (or package) manager that allows you to install and uninstall software (or Packages).

Found it! Got PlayonLinux installed. Now reread your previous post!

#53 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:08 PM

If you get stuck give me a call, it's raining so I'm not doing much.

#54 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:31 PM

Not wanting to highjack Kenny's post but I left Windows long ago been on Linux Mint Cinnamon every since. On 17.3 Cinnamon and like it. Now the dumb question. If I load playonlinux and load some Windows programs can the crap on Windows migrate back on this system? And if so would Linux recognize it as security threat?  

• KennyP, HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#55 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:01 PM

Not wanting to highjack Kenny's post but I left Windows long ago been on Linux Mint Cinnamon every since. On 17.3 Cinnamon and like it. Now the dumb question. If I load playonlinux and load some Windows programs can the crap on Windows migrate back on this system? And if so would Linux recognize it as security threat?  

That is a really good question. The answer i believe is no, First off wine and by default Playonlinux is an emulator so it is not exactly like windows in how it installs programs. In order to load window app and or junk you have to go through the Wine installation app so now you are back to having to fire a program on a Linux system which would be difficult at best.  Second in order to do anything with the system it's self you have to have the root password or in your case the sudo root password.  I've never heard of anyone having issues with malware or spyware using wine to run windows programs.

• MH81, KennyP, gopher and 1 other said thanks

#56 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:08 PM

Sketchup is working! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:  Thanks, Bill! I'm learning!

Now I wonder if I can get my external hard drive to give me anything from the Windows 8.1

• MH81, HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#57 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:15 PM

Sketchup is working! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:  Thanks, Bill! I'm learning!

Now I wonder if I can get my external hard drive to give me anything from the Windows 8.1

Well if the Hard drive is not damage you should be able to just plug it into the Linux computer and then open the file manager (the button on the launch bar that says "Files") and you should see the external Hard drive under devices about mid way down in the file manager.  Open the External Hard drive navigate to the files you want and do a copy and paste to where you want them on your computer. 

One thing I will mention here in case you haven't learned this yet.  In Linux when you are dealing with your HDD and the files things are divided into 2 areas your home folder which allows you to do pretty much what ever you like and the system folders which only the root account can do anything with so basically think of you home folder being a separate drive even though they may be all on the same drive and/ or partition. 

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:25 PM

This is a backup, Bill. So not just a copy of files. I may plug it in and see what happens! These files had no adware/virus or such.

#59 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:29 PM

If they are backup files you will probably need to find a backup program that can read them.  Windows will not read a Linux drive so you would need to unpack them to a windows drive then open it in Linux.  If 8.1 is installed you maybe able to boot off it like you did with the USB Stick.

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:35 PM

If they are backup files you will probably need to find a backup program that can read them.  Windows will not read a Linux drive so you would need to unpack them to a windows drive then open it in Linux.  If 8.1 is installed you maybe able to boot off it like you did with the USB Stick.

It's a complete system backup.