• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 04:00 AM

I have mine on a USB stick at the moment. Can I just copy that straight to a disk? Or would it be best to download a new copy and burn it on there?

• chieffan said thank you

#32 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 11:23 AM

I have mine on a USB stick at the moment. Can I just copy that straight to a disk? Or would it be best to download a new copy and burn it on there?

I thought you already installed it on your computer HDD.  To answer your question yes it would be better to install it to your HDD.  I would however consider getting the Mate edition, I just feel Mate is a more mature desktop then Cinnamon.

Installing it to the HDD is not hard, Basically you just answer a series of questions and I think the biggest one for you is to decide if you want it to take over the HDD or install besides Windows.  Let us know how it goes.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 11:38 AM

I thought you already installed it on your computer HDD.  To answer your question yes it would be better to install it to your HDD.  I would however consider getting the Mate edition, I just feel Mate is a more mature desktop then Cinnamon.

Installing it to the HDD is not hard, Basically you just answer a series of questions and I think the biggest one for you is to decide if you want it to take over the HDD or install besides Windows.  Let us know how it goes.

It's on the HDD, just the install is on the USB stick. I would like to take it off there so I can use it for other things.

How hard is it to install Mate? Just do the same install again with Mate? What about my files I have so far?

#34 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 11:59 AM

From your post I thought you were running off the USB stick.  if you are happy with Cinnamon then stay with it.  I was just thinking about the issue with the monitor, although I'm not sure how Mate will handle it, but I know there are several distro's that use Mate.  If you do want to change it, move your files off to another drive or up to the cloud, then yes you do just like you did with Cinnamon to install it. If your USB stick is big enough you could even use it for your files.

When you are done just delete the files on the USB stick, may need to also empty the trash, then used it for what every you need it for.  The one nice thing about Linux is that if you have some kind of computer failure where you need to reinstall the OS all you have to do is go out and get the latest ISO image and install it with out having to deal with all the licensing issues. 

• KennyP, Trav1s and chieffan have said thanks

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:07 PM

From your post I thought you were running off the USB stick.  if you are happy with Cinnamon then stay with it.  I was just thinking about the issue with the monitor, although I'm not sure how Mate will handle it, but I know there are several distro's that use Mate.  If you do want to change it, move your files off to another drive or up to the cloud, then yes you do just like you did with Cinnamon to install it. If your USB stick is big enough you could even use it for your files.

When you are done just delete the files on the USB stick, may need to also empty the trash, then used it for what every you need it for.  The one nice thing about Linux is that if you have some kind of computer failure where you need to reinstall the OS all you have to do is go out and get the latest ISO image and install it with out having to deal with all the licensing issues. 

What I was meaning was I had the ISO  burnt to the stick. I was wondering if I could copy that to a DVD to keep in case I need to reinstall the system. What I want to do is save the stick for the files on the HP hard drive. It's a 16GB stick. I have a lot of pics on the HP of family and such, besides GT pics and files. I have gotten used to the monitor situation, though would like a better resolution the big monitor. Saw something on the Linux forum about going in and writing a different string for the video to allow that. But, not sure if that would work for me.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#36 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:23 PM

I would think it would work burning the stick image to a DVD.  I haven't done it that way before but I see no reason it shouldn't work.

You may want to DL the Mate edition and burn it to either the stick or a DVD and boot to it live and see how it handles the dual monitor issue.

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:44 PM

Well, I just fixed the dual monitor issue! Dummy me, the answer was right there all the time. Turn the laptop monitor OFF! Now I have 1600 x 900 on the big monitor!

• MH81, HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#38 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:48 PM

Well, I just fixed the dual monitor issue! Dummy me, the answer was right there all the time. Turn the laptop monitor OFF! Now I have 1600 x 900 on the big monitor!

I guess I was reading to much into what you wanted to do!  I was thinking you wanted both monitors on and be able to adjust the resolution independently.  Glad it worked out for you.

• MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 01:59 PM

One is enough, though two was great. If I could run both with better resolution, it would be great. Mate does have a different looking display 'tab' and may help that issue. I'll try that before long. Right now, I'm getting used to how this works and where things are. Plus some of the nomenclature used.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 03:22 PM

Thought I had messed up! When I turned off the other display, the 'panel' (taskbar in windows) was on it. Took me a bit to get that figured out.  :thumbs:  I closed FF and couldn't figure out how to open it. :wallbanging:  All is well with one monitor at 16:9!  :dancingbanana:  I'm learning!

• Trav1s and chieffan have said thanks

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Can an application made for a Mac OS work on Linux Mint?

#42 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Can an application made for a Mac OS work on Linux Mint?

Not that I am aware of

#43 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:57 AM

I have  found a way to install my DeltaCad for windows using Wine! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Now I can draw things again! I'm a very happy camper for that. I asked the question as I wasn't aware Wine would install Windows programs on here. Now to try Sketchup! I use that at times too! I'm very happy to find a way to get these programs working on here.

• olcowhand and chieffan have said thanks

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 09:28 AM

Well, Sketchup was a bust as it checks for a Windows OS. :wallbanging:  But I did get Photoscape installed! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: It is so much easier to edit photos with. Gimp wanted to save to it's own file extension, so I had to export everything as a .jpg so I could upload here. Crop works much easier too.

#45 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Sketchup.jpeg

Sketchup has always been a hit and miss for me with wine.  But here is how I installed it.  Go to the software center and install PlayonLinux.  Launch PlayonLinux on the left side you will see a link "install a program" without the quotes.  Click on it and you will get a new window with app categories at the top.  In the search text box type in Sketchup and a link will appear in the box below.  Click on it and a new window will appear with all this info about PlayonLinux read it check the box for it not to appear again and click next, there will be another page with more info do the same.  Next tell it to install Sketchup, PlayonLinux will probably do some downloading with wine first to set it up correctly and get the any needed wine programs.  Then it will install Sketchup.

One issue I found is that it doesn't put it on the start menu like Wine does.  I had to launch PlayonLinux and tell it to launch Sketchup but I'll work on that because all Playonlinux does is launch a script so if I copy that and make a menu entry that should do it.  But if you really want Sketchup that is how to do it. 

On a side note: I tried to use Winetricks to install it and it acted like it was installed but I could not find the installation any where so I'm not sure what is going on with that.

• KennyP said thank you