• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 01:28 PM

Kenny, sounds like you are in dual monitor mode which would limit you on your resolution like Travis indicated.  I haven't used Cinnamon so I'm not familiar with it.  I'll DL a copy and load it into a VM.

Yes it is. And nothing in BIOS to switch.

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 01:40 PM

IMO - Mint and Ubuntu are about as painless as any operating system can be.  They even seem to deal with old nVida video chipsets that can be a pain. 

So which would you recommend for a guy that got lost in the computer savvy about 10 years ago?  Linux Mint or Ubuntu? 

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 01:45 PM

Linux Mint, the mate addition.  Ubuntu uses the Unity desktop and you would really be lost, IMO.

• Trav1s and chieffan have said thanks

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 01:50 PM

Yes it is. And nothing in BIOS to switch.

I'm DL Mint now.  Will load it on to a USB and then boot my laptop and plug in a monitor and see what I get.  What are your laptop specs?  I'll be using a Dell Inspiron N5030, 4 gb of memory.  Not sure on the graphics card, I think it has a Nividia. 

• chieffan said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 02:07 PM

It's a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4004, 100GB hard drive. Not sure how much memory it has. Can't find the specs with Linux.

Found it. 3GB memory. Intel Graphics 945GM/GMS with 943/940 GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller. Says the hard drive is 150GB.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#21 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 02:47 PM

Is is a proprietary app or a more common app?

I keep the books in an old copy of Quicken.

I'm not really interested in paying Intuit every month for on-line QuickBooks.  All the open source stuff I've found uses double entry bookkeeping, most of which I forgot back when our tractors were new.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#22 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 02:56 PM

I keep the books in an old copy of Quicken.

I'm not really interested in paying Intuit every month for on-line QuickBooks.  All the open source stuff I've found uses double entry bookkeeping, most of which I forgot back when our tractors were new.

Yea, Quicken is a hard one.  I went through the same thing many years ago and kept a copy of window just for Quicken, but I got tired of it so it got shut down.  I played with a lot of the different accounting programs and the only one I found that worked similar to Quicken was Kmymoney.  You may want to check it out.  The only problem is it won't connect to your bank account directly, I have to go out and down load the update file and then load it into Kmymoney.

• chieffan and MiCarl have said thanks

#23 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 04:08 PM

the hardest part about understanding Linux is that you can not run next door for help.

as more and more use Linux and you have some close to you help answer your questions or show you how it is a hard learning curve by yourself.

hang in there,  remember you have used Windows for many years and the others around you helped you.

have fath in yourself.

• KennyP, Trav1s and chieffan have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 04:14 PM

the hardest part about understanding Linux is that you can not run next door for help.

as more and more use Linux and you have some close to you help answer your questions or show you how it is a hard learning curve by yourself.

hang in there,  remember you have used Windows for many years and the others around you helped you.

have fath in yourself.

A lot of it is real similar in how you do things. Just getting used to how the system names and stores it is the challenge.

#25 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 04:39 PM

It's a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4004, 100GB hard drive. Not sure how much memory it has. Can't find the specs with Linux.

Found it. 3GB memory. Intel Graphics 945GM/GMS with 943/940 GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller. Says the hard drive is 150GB.

Ok, I decided to do some experimenting.  I used my Dell Inspiron Laptop with an old Microtek monitor.  The first thing I did was load PCLOS with KDE and it detected both monitors and allowed me to set the resolution and refresh rate for each monitor.  I then loaded Mint with Cinnamon and tried to do the same.  It would not control both monitors independently and yes it even crashed.  I could mirror the two quite easily but to get the resolutions independent I couldn't.

Unfortunately you picked a relatively new desktop and I think Mint is the only source for it's development where KDE, Gnome, LXDE, XFCE all have been around for a long time and are used by quite a few distro's so they get tested a lot plus more developer eyes are looking at them.

• KennyP said thank you

#26 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 04:43 PM

Linux Mint, the mate addition.  Ubuntu uses the Unity desktop and you would really be lost, IMO.

I checked into it and found a download for Linux Mate at a USA site.  Started the download and after it ran for about 35 min it said it would take another 14 hours to finish ??  I have satellite internet and I know it is not that slow.  If that file is that big I would need 4 HD's to get it downloaded.  This cannot be right.  Where did I screw up?    There was a whole list of sites to get it from and I chose Linux Freedom.  Wrong site ??

• KennyP said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 04:51 PM

Usually a site close to you will download faster. I chose OU as my closest one. Shouldn't take that long.

#28 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Chieftan; sounds like you have run into the same problem I used to with satellite.  They have what is called a FAP (Fair access Policy) that only allows you to down load so many GB's. Then it throttles you back to a crawl.  Yes most of these distro's are quite large but they don't take 14 HR's!  I used to have satellite until we got DSL out here and what I used to have to do is go to a friends house, go to the library (which was hit and miss) or go here and order a DVD.  It didn't take very long to get it either.  If you have a friend who has Cable or DSL go to their house and download it and put it on a USB drive or burn it to a DVD.

The reason for the distro file being so big is because when you install it your are basically ready to do any common computer operation.  They install an office suite, browser, editors, photo - video management, calculator, graphic programs and more.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#29 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 06:37 PM

That's what happened.  I usually get an update about every week letting me know the usage %.  Last I heard was several days ago and was at 80%.  Hit the  limit now as it renews Tuesday.  Bummer.  I might get the Disc anyway, just to have the copy in case I need it.  Local company don't offer DSL out this far out from town (8 miles) and has to be line of site to their transmitter.    Only other option is pay more bucks to get a higher bandwidth allotment and don't usually need it.  We are all in the same boat out here, rural area and closets neighbor is over a mile away.  Some are still on dial up ? ?

• KennyP said thank you

#30 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 08:51 PM

chieffan,

I can rip the Mint image (version you want) to a CD and mail it to you if you want.  Send me a message and let me know.  Heck, if we go that direction, I can burn several different distros I like to different discs and send them out.  

Edited by Trav1s, December 19, 2015 - 08:51 PM.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks