• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 718 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 10:18 AM

Hey guys just wanted to share a tad bit of info that maybe helpful top you or a friend down the road. Oil Seals is the topic here and all tractors have them. This little trick I am going to share is not a 100% guarantee for a fix but has worked for me several times many years back  when I would race off road motorcycles and we would have fork seals leak. I just did this with success yesterday to my simplicity transmission.

Ok as we know all an oil seal does is create tight seal around a shaft to  hold in the fluid. Many times when a seal leaks its not really ripped or torn it may just have some debris in it. If you take a business card and wrap it around the shaft and insert it into the oil seals and turn it back and forth a few times it will release the debris and allow your seal to seal yet again.  

When I did mine yesterday I was able to retrieve some string puled it out ran the card again, used some brake cleaner to clean up the area  took a look this morning dry as a bone...checked hydro (trans fluid) and its full. so no more leaks. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, limebuzz and 18 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,293 Thanks
  • 3,721 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 12:46 PM

That's a neat tip. I would never thought of that.
  • boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 480 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the tip.  Try to remember that next time I have an oil leak.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,757 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 01:03 PM

Will give that a try on the left oil seal on my 850 transaxle.  It has been leaking for a long time as the tractor was not used for ??? years before I recently acquired it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 MiCarl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 75926
  • 681 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 02:38 PM

I've heard of it being done with a piece of 35mm film - which is getting hard to come by.

There are "seal cleaners" available to do motorcycle forks.  It's a thin piece of plastic with a hooked end.

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,045 Thanks
  • 4,976 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Cool trick. I'll try it next time.

Usually most seals ive seen are just worn last usefulness of something(string, grass, ect) has gotten wrapped around the shaft and cuf up the seal

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 18, 2015 - 09:31 PM.

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 718 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 09:27 AM

Its not a cure all, just one of those things that if you catch soon enough you can save yourself some time on a repair. I'm sure many other things can work like film and such but  if its not on hand then its not that simple anymore, I always have a business card handy.