19 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Saw a sears custom setting behind a guys house down the road I asked him what he wanted for it, he told me 20 bucks! Going to drag it over here I couldn't sleep last night haha. It has a briggs on it. I asked him if he still had the original tecumseh he said yes and that I could have it too. I guess it shut off on him one day and he put the briggs on. I looked at it, I think the solid state is bad. I will have to fix it. I make those ignition kits like you can buy for them myself. I am probably going to sell this tractor after I paint it up. Will post pics when I bring it home. I shouldn't be this excited.
  • Alc, Jazz and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 07:51 AM

Pays to stop and ask. Whats the worst can happen. That was a perfect scenario where the seller tosses out a number and no point to haggling when you know you just snagged a smokin' deal.

• Alc, chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 07:58 AM

I looked at it, I think the solid state is bad. I will have to fix it. I make those ignition kits like you can buy for them myself.

Does your kit convert it over to a battery-coil system?

• chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#4 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 07:58 AM

Ya , I guess I could part it out but I hate to tear down a good tractor.really can't beat the price. I have two gt18s I'm restoring right now I'm running out of room. I like those old sears too much. I need to find a deck for it those ones are a bugger. I got to get the tecumseh on it that briggs is going to bother me. If anyone can help me I dent he briggs I'll take pics. I just do tecumseh and kohler. And this topic posted twice need an admin to delete one, I don't know why it did that.
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Pays to stop and ask. Whats the worst can happen. That was a perfect scenario where the seller tosses out a number and no point to haggling when you know you just snagged a smokin' deal.

I stop and ask people all the time when I see stuff, it doesn't hurt your right. Do you do the same?
  • chieffan said thank you

#6 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 08:08 AM

Yes Tahoe it is for 12v battery ignition. They are easy to make I can get you the info if you need it
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 08:42 AM

Yes Tahoe it is for 12v battery ignition. They are easy to make I can get you the info if you need it

That information would be real handy to have.  I bought two conversion modules this spring at $20 each.  Used to get them for $5.  Do they work on all single cylinder engines?

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 08:48 AM

I bought a Bolens 1476 with a blade that way.  Still have it but looking for another motor for it.  Could never get any spark from that S14D Wisconsin, which I learned to hate dearly.  $100 in the unit + $120 for good bar tires and $200 in ignition parts and still don't know if the hydro is good.  Engine is in the scrap pile.  Be real careful of those behind the barn finds as they can come back to haunt you.  Good luck with your project.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 09:29 AM

All the time I chat folks up. People like to talk about their "passions" whether it's a car, tractor, spoon collection...Was on my morning stroll and spotted this guy pulling into parking lot. The machine shop had just rebuilt engine on this 105 that the fellow had bought new in '69. Shop wanted to set up carb once owner had engine installed. A well loved machine and owner rattled off a list of attachments he had for tractor

I spoke to owner for 5 minutes,,,by the looks of the trailer he's getting his  nickels worth out of it as well,, a boat trailer one day,,,sheet of plywood laid on frame and it a just about anything else hauler.  

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, December 19, 2015 - 07:17 AM.

• Alc and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#10 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 09:50 AM

That information would be real handy to have.  I bought two conversion modules this spring at $20 each.  Used to get them for $5.  Do they work on all single cylinder engines?

the ones I have been doing are for the 10 and 20 amp engines with alternator under the flywheel and trigger pins on the coil. I can pm you some info

#11 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 09:56 AM

It won't work on a points system if you have points

#12 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 07:23 PM

the ones I have been doing are for the 10 and 20 amp engines with alternator under the flywheel and trigger pins on the coil. I can pm you some info

Care to share this info?

The techy in my ST/10 is fine for now; but the SS ignition is one of my biggest worries.

Also no :camera: ?  Love these old work horses.

#13 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 12:18 AM

Care to share this info?
The techy in my ST/10 is fine for now; but the SS ignition is one of my biggest worries.

Also no :camera: ?  Love these old work horses.

sent you a pm

#14 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 08:32 AM

I am in the middle of doing a conversion from overnight solutions, I ditched the stock ignition switch and added a solenoid so that you don't have to turn your ignition power on with a toggle. As of now I am just waiting for my components.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#15 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 08:40 AM

20151218_145042.jpg

If you notice I installed a 4 pole solenoid , the reason for the 4th pole is to supply power to the coil  during start up if the ignition switch does not. In my case I got a switch that does supply power to the coil during start up through the ING connection. so the 4th pole is not needed. However if I have voltage drop from my ignition circuit to my coil when I crank the engine I can run a jumper from the 4th pole to the coil and have direct battery connection when the solinoid is activated. 

I have read on here that the 4th pole is a ground....don't listen to that its wrong and will fry your ignition if you ground it.