#31 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:12 PM

X2 on pulling the tins and making sure the cooling fins are clear and clean.

#32 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 09:40 AM

Another related question to serial numbers, sort of...

I need an Engine Top Heat Shield for the 1886, the one where the serial number is supposed to be.  I don't have a shield, and as mentioned above in a previous post, I should get one to prevent overheating issues.  Well, I've found that they are pretty scarce.  I've managed to locate one off of a Bolens HT-18.  The picture of it appears to match what I need, but before committing to buy it, I wanted to ask the smart people here on GT Talk if it will fit my 1886-02?  

Or does anyone here on the Forum have one they might be willing to sell?

Thanks! 

#33 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:56 AM

Another related question to serial numbers, sort of...

I need an Engine Top Heat Shield for the 1886, the one where the serial number is supposed to be.  I don't have a shield, and as mentioned above in a previous post, I should get one to prevent overheating issues.  Well, I've found that they are pretty scarce.  I've managed to locate one off of a Bolens HT-18.  The picture of it appears to match what I need, but before committing to buy it, I wanted to ask the smart people here on GT Talk if it will fit my 1886-02?  

Or does anyone here on the Forum have one they might be willing to sell?

Thanks! 

I have a hand full of them if can wait after the Christmas.   Also its not a must have I have a hand full of tractors that I run with out them.

• SC Farmer said thank you

#34 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 11:04 AM

Also its not a must have I have a hand full of tractors that I run with out them.

Grain of salt warning. Keep in mind Jerome has so many of them that if lawn mowing duties are split equally, each mower gets to do 38 linear feet. Not sure how much of a test of engine cooling capabilities that really is....

• wilberj and SC Farmer have said thanks

#35 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 11:52 AM

Jerome, it most definately will wait until after Christmas and New Year!  I've gotta recover from the Christmas $$$ sticker shock and also I have a Cub Cadet 106 in pieces that needs completion.  I'm thinking down the road, maybe February/March or so.  That okay with you?

And Wilberj is cutting on you big time!  38' about right?  Bwaaaa haaaa haaaa!  Good one.

No, it may or may not improve heat issues, but it does clean up the look of the engine area, so I'll give it a try...

Thanks again for the offer - the one I had located on eBay is running $60 including shipping.

I hope ya'll and everyone here on GTTalk have a Merry Christmas! 

Jim

#36 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 12:46 PM

Grain of salt warning. Keep in mind Jerome has so many of them that if lawn mowing duties are split equally, each mower gets to do 38 linear feet. Not sure how much of a test of engine cooling capabilities that really is....

The weekly mower don't have one.   Runs for 2 hours WOT mowing.    Yes the tin work on top does help tho. 

#37 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Jerome, it most definately will wait until after Christmas and New Year!  I've gotta recover from the Christmas $$$ sticker shock and also I have a Cub Cadet 106 in pieces that needs completion.  I'm thinking down the road, maybe February/March or so.  That okay with you?

And Wilberj is cutting on you big time!  38' about right?  Bwaaaa haaaa haaaa!  Good one.

No, it may or may not improve heat issues, but it does clean up the look of the engine area, so I'll give it a try...

Thanks again for the offer - the one I had located on eBay is running $60 including shipping.

I hope ya'll and everyone here on GTTalk have a Merry Christmas! 

Jim

Yep that is fine with me just remind me when the time comes around.  I did a buy out of a long time bolens friend of mine and I came home with a stack of the top tin work.   I can do better then the $60.

#38 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 12:52 PM

Can do!

#39 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 08:51 AM

'nother newbie question:  I'm gonna need an exhaust gasket for my K482S.  It's square, measures 2 1/2" on a side, four holes, and outside diameter of the pipe is 1.5" roughly - part number is 1722 530, I believe.  Anyone know where I can get one?

And a Merry Christmas to everyone!

Edited by Lorisfarmer, December 26, 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#40 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 228 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 04:52 PM

Probably my last post for awhile on my "new" 1886.  I got the new tire mounted and installed, aired up the other three tires. pulled the side engine heat shields off, and power washed the tractor and engine.  A ton of critter nesting material came out of the engine (good), a coating of mildew/mold from sitting for several years  was washed off (good), and I promptly got water in the distributor/plug wires (bad).  Took a bit of drying to get it running again, but it looks a LOT better!  It took me a bit of playing with it and referring to the owner's manual, but I got 'er in forward and drove it around the property a bit.  Ran like a champ!  Getting a bit of rich fuel smoke out of it, but I'll be cleaning the carb out before the next run in a few months.  I hated to stick it in "mothballs", but I have to re-start work on my Cub Cadet, then I'll get to the Bolens.  

It was fun riding it around though. Great Tractor!  Still looking for a lead on the exhaust gasket - any ideas?

Jim

#41 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 05:03 PM

No idea. Maybe a few pics would help the search?

#42 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 05:10 PM

I'll take a look for you, I know I had a new one here but cant find where I put it :wallbanging:

#43 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 05:58 PM

If you need the exhaust gasket I have a dozen or so here just pm me

#44 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:05 PM

I'll take a look for you, I know I had a new one here but cant find where I put it :wallbanging:

If you need the exhaust gasket I have a dozen or so here just pm me

Brian? I think you left it at Bob's house........

• wilberj and SC Farmer have said thanks