• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,766 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 09:11 AM

The problem with mufflers pointed up, is that is "rain catcher" mode. I've seen several engines ruined because they were left out for awhile. Checkout what our sponsors have to offer in the way of parts for your projects. Good Luck, Rick

• SC Farmer said thank you

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 09:45 AM

Being a VERY new Bolens owner (< a week!), I'm confused by the exhaust muffler.  Most of the pictures I've seen show it horizontal, with the exhaust tip at the front of the tractor.  Having been around large tractors since I was a kid (Farmall F-20, H, M, and now a Cub), this seems strange.  Then I saw a picture of BlackJackJake's great looking Bolens and his exhaust is vertical, like a stack.

The exhaust manifold is a square flange, the exhaust can be unbolted and turned 90°. As mentioned, it needs to be vertical for use of the loader because of clearance issues. They are mounted horizontal from the dealer for it's main use, mowing the lawn. That way you have clearance under branches and such.

#18 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 09:57 AM

If you ever have the need or desire to have the muffler pointed up, make sure you provide a support brace for it. Being long and relatively heavy, it has a fairly significant moment (lever) arm. Abrupt changes in tractor direction could cause metal fatigue and eventually lead to something breaking. That muffler is hard to come by and expensive if you do find one. The manifold is a little easier to find, but why take a chance?

BTW: Your mower deck, which looks correct for the 1886, is actually 54", not 61". It also looks like your tractor has the desirable "floaters" (20" front tires w/10" rims).  :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• Muffler brace2.jpg
  • Muffler brace.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Paulgo and SC Farmer have said thanks

#19 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 10:01 AM

One other disadvantage of having the muffler mounted vertically is that the heat generated can melt the hood decal. Take a look at the photo in my previous post. Anyone else experience this? Mine was like this when I got the tractor and I know the PO had an FEL mounted, at one time.

#20 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 11:20 AM

looks like your missing the piece that is needed for the Model # which of coarse its a 1886 but your serial number is gone too. Maybe the die hard 1886 guys could tell which model it is from your pics. I too am a beginner in the bolens as i got into the cubs a couple years ago.Since then i have purchased 2-1886's and a 1477 along with a 1455 . Starting to like these large frame bolens tractors alot. By the way, Congrats on the nice tractor score ! looks to be in pretty good shape and i bet it will look even better with a little scrubbing with some soap and water. 

Welcome to GTtalk!

#21 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Your 1886 is a modal 1886-02 built in 1972. 

• Cat385B, ClassicBolens and SC Farmer have said thanks

#22 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 04:49 PM

One other disadvantage of having the muffler mounted vertically is that the heat generated can melt the hood decal. Take a look at the photo in my previous post. Anyone else experience this? Mine was like this when I got the tractor and I know the PO had an FEL mounted, at one time.

I have seen the decals melted and distorted even on the tractors with the muffler mounted sideways from the factory,before I redid my 20 the decal was melted and the muffler was factory installed,you right,lots of heat off them
  • Austen and SC Farmer have said thanks

#23 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 04:52 PM

The exhaust manifold is a square flange, the exhaust can be unbolted and turned 90°. As mentioned, it needs to be vertical for use of the loader because of clearance issues. They are mounted horizontal from the dealer for it's main use, mowing the lawn. That way you have clearance under branches and such.

If you do decide to turn the muffler,start soaking down the nuts that hold it on with some PB blaster,if you break the studs off the exhaust manifold they are a real bear to drill out

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, December 19, 2015 - 04:53 PM.

• ClassicBolens and SC Farmer have said thanks

#24 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Thanks to all for the excellent info on vertical versus horizontal mufflers - makes sense.  I was just used to the bigger Farmalls with the exhaust through the hood and a rain cap installed.

Yes, it looks like both my engine serial tag and my tractor serial number tag are missing.  Special thanks to wilberj for identifying my exact model of tractor as a 1886-02.  Sure wish I could locate the serial number though.  There's no other alternate number on the tractor?  Maybe a casting marking?

Also, thanks to Toolfoole for identifying my deck as a 54".  I do know that it is 67" wide from runner to runner though, because I had to drop the mower from the tractor and load it as seen in the picture on my 60" trailer!  It would not fit while assembled with the tractor.  Fortunately it was a relatively easy disconnect as it was done in the pouring rain where I bought it.  The tractor had been sitting under an exposed shelter probably since about 2010 (the date on the battery).  Still working on getting it started...

I did get the flat and visibly split rear tire and wheel (good shape) off this morning, so there was some progress... :thumbs:   Took a closer look at my front tires. They'ree 20 X 8.00-10 Dico's.  They're holding air right now but are pretty weather checked and will have to be replaced sooner rather than later.  Hopefully the one good tire is the rear 26x12.00-12 as it's a Goodyear - it seems to be okay.  

I'll be checking the fuel system next.  Got the plugs out okay today also and they look alright.  Gotta love a "new" tractor project!

• wilberj said thank you

#25 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 11:24 PM

Yes, it looks like both my engine serial tag and my tractor serial number tag are missing.  Special thanks to wilberj for identifying my exact model of tractor as a 1886-02.  Sure wish I could locate the serial number though.  There's no other alternate number on the tractor?  Maybe a casting marking?

There is no other place on the tractor that can give you a serial number. 

• Bolens 1000, ClassicBolens and SC Farmer have said thanks

#26 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 05:18 PM

"I did get the flat and visibly split rear tire"

I have one of those too!
It happens when someone inflates the tire to 35 PSI.
Those tires are meant to hold 6-12 PSI only!

Joe

#27 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 05:28 PM

Joe, no doubt that is what happened! That and it sat under a shed for maybe 5-6 years before I got it!  Anyway, it is trash now. :usa:

• Rock farmer said thank you

#28 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 05:55 PM

Getting excited now.  I changed out the plugs, changed the oil, charged the battery, cleaned up the air filter, and flushed out the gas tank.  I am replacing the POS fuel sediment bowl with an in-line filter and shut-off valve (could NOT get the old one to stop leaking... :mad2: ).  I'll hook that up tomorrow and fill the tank with fresh gas.  I gave it a try tonight with no fuel and new oil, and shot some PB Blaster into each cylinder (tractor has sat for maybe five years and not run in that time, so I didn't want the cylinders dry).  It turned over like a champ!  I believe that as soon as it gets some gas, it will crank right up!  Status report tomorrow... :biting_nails:​ 

• blackjackjakexxix, Cat385B, Rock farmer and 2 others have said thanks

#29 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Okay, I got the gas tank hooked up right (minus that x!#%$@# sediment bowl!).  I cranked it over and it wouldn't catch, so I dribbled a little raw gas into the carb and tried again.  Started right up!  This tractor has a fuel pump mounted on the tin below the battery - not sure if that's OEM, but it works great.  Once the engine ran for a bit, it evened out and is good to go now.  Oh, After starting it up, I found out that there was some critter's old nest down inside the heat shields.  I found that out when paper and bits of the nest came flinging out all over the barn! Fortunately there was no critter in it...

Once I get my new tire mounted on the rear rim, I'll have to put the Bolens away for a bit so I can finish working on my (torn apart) Cub Cadet 106.  I'll probably start serious work on the 1886 min March.  I'm sure I'll be on here a lot looking for the great advice available from GTTalk!

Jim

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#30 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Great to hear it runs, be sure to clean all of the rodent nest out of there so you dont start a fire or overheat the engine.

Many times if the fuel pumps have not been used for some time they wont catch until they are primed, you should be all set if it was keeping the engine going.