43 replies to this topic

#1 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Hi all,

I just joined this forum, mainly because I just became the proud owner of a Bolens 1886!  Lugged it home on my trailer from North Carolina today in the pouring rain.  Its not in the greatest shape, but that will change.  Picture is attached - you see what I mean...Bolens 001.JPG

I need a bit of help from ya'll though:  I don't know where to look for the tractor serial number or the Kohler serial number.  I suspect the Kohler number plate is gone, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.  Any help?

Thanks!

Edited by Lorisfarmer, December 18, 2015 - 08:04 PM.

• LPBolens, Cat385B, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 08:45 PM

HI welcome GTtalk. 

You engine ID tag should be on the tin work that has the hole for the filter. It looks to be gone. 

The ID tag for the tractor would be under the hood located on the tin work that goes around the carb and under the air cleaner.   Most of the time that tin work is missing from the tractor but yours looks to still have it. 

Can you post more photos of your tractor?

Edited by wilberj, December 17, 2015 - 08:46 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#3 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 08:46 PM

Welcome to the forum, Jim. Congratulations on the score. The 1886 is a great tractor, some say the best of the Bolens line. I'm afraid I can't be sure of where the tractor serial number is, but if it's like the HT-23, it would be on the heat shield top, above the engine. The engine serial number should be on the left side of the engine to the right of the oil filter. Someone will surely come along soon to confirm the s/n locations.

Thanks for the photo, we love photos here. Your tractor looks to be in pretty nice shape. Does it run and drive? Did you get any attachments with it?

You came to the right place for any kind of help you might need with your restoration. Good luck with it. I look forward to seeing your progress.

- Ed C.

• boyscout862 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:37 PM

Welcome to the forum. From the looks of it not bad shape I have seen a lot worse. Looks to be pretty complete did it come with any attachments? If you find you need any parts just give a shout we have a lot here and there is a few others here that deal in bolens parts.

• boyscout862 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Welcome,the 1886 is a nice tractor,that was the first large frame I bought a few years ago,if you need any parts pm me,I might be able to help
  • WrenchinOnIt and SC Farmer have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:43 PM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

Not a bad looking machine!

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and SC Farmer have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 10:23 PM

Welcome to GTT. That is a great model tractor. Check out our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) for the manuals that you may need. Good Luck, Rick

#8 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 12:44 AM

Welcome to GT Talk and congrats on Bolens ownership! The 1886 is a special model and it looks like you found a good one! Looking forward to seeing more photos when you get a chance. :thumbs:

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 08:13 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• SC Farmer said thank you

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,744 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 11:40 AM

I'm sure the numbers are, just send it to me in MN and I'll find them.

Congrats! Looks like a great project.
  • SC Farmer said thank you

#11 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome from all and for the info on the serial numbers!  I'll be searching them out as time allows (got family Christmas coming up, etc., so I need to sneak out to the barn as I can... :D

The tractor is not running right now.  Battery was lower than whale poop, but I think it might charge.  It has one flat and very rotten rear tire - i ordered a used Carlisle on eBay today, $56 including shipping, so I will pull the old one off tomorrow (I hope - time is limited - you know...).  The Husky came with a 61" mower deck and looks to be complete.  I'll need sprucing up and new belts, minimum.

I will be working on this project, as I mentioned, as I can.  I also am working on a Cub Cadet 106 that is right now in the engine off, frame off state and I need it for spring mowing, so it comes first.  I will post a few pictures of both - gotta love to show off old tractor iron!

Again, thanks ya'll, for the warm welcome!

Jim

• boyscout862 and Paulgo have said thanks

#12 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 06:05 AM

Okay, ya'll asked for more pictures - here they are from when I first rolled it into the barn.  It's leaning right because of the flat right rear tire. The 61" mower deck is strapped to the rear of my 60" wide trailer for obvious reasons!

Pretty rough, but that will change with time...

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 003.JPG
  • Bolens 002.JPG
  • Bolens 006.JPG
  • Bolens 008.JPG
  • Bolens 015.JPG

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#13 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Whew, an early Saturday morning and too cold outside to work on the tractors (32 degrees - cold for SC, at any rate!), so I've been looking at GT Talk.  Very cool forum! I'm glad I joined! 

Being a VERY new Bolens owner (< a week!), I'm confused by the exhaust muffler.  Most of the pictures I've seen show it horizontal, with the exhaust tip at the front of the tractor.  Having been around large tractors since I was a kid (Farmall F-20, H, M, and now a Cub), this seems strange.  Then I saw a picture of BlackJackJake's great looking Bolens and his exhaust is vertical, like a stack.  Is this an option on the 1886?

Oh, and yes, when I transported my "new" 1886 200 miles to my home in the pouring rain, I did tape off the muffler tip with a plastic bag to keep the rain from being forced into the cylinders. An ounce of prevention...

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#14 captaindemo17 OFFLINE  

captaindemo17
  • Member No: 78684
  • 20 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 08:43 AM

looks like your missing the piece that is needed for the Model # which of coarse its a 1886 but your serial number is gone too. Maybe the die hard 1886 guys could tell which model it is from your pics. I too am a beginner in the bolens as i got into the cubs a couple years ago.Since then i have purchased 2-1886's and a 1477 along with a 1455 . Starting to like these large frame bolens tractors alot. By the way, Congrats on the nice tractor score ! looks to be in pretty good shape and i bet it will look even better with a little scrubbing with some soap and water. 

• Bolens800uk and SC Farmer have said thanks

#15 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Pointed forward is normal. Up is to get it out of the way for a front end loader.  Paul