Posted December 17, 2015 - 01:26 PM

the winter has been tuff i need a idea for a shed that will fit two tractors

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 01:53 PM

Bigger is better. If you want a low budget shelter, look at the thread where a trampoline was made into a shed frame. Good Luck, Rick

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 02:29 PM

Google "Shed with Pallets" and you should come up with several ideas.  I built a 12' X 32' 7' high in the front, 6' in the back.  Open to one side.  Only material I bought was  4 X 4's for the post and 2X8' for the headers over the openings and the 2X6'sa for the rafters plus the new steel for the roof.  All the side material was built from pallets I got from DOT free for taking.  A little snow does sift in and through the open sides but have never found everything covered and a lot better than sitting outside.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 03:02 PM

I don't know what kind of a budget you might have, but one of the lightweight carport type would work. It would give a quick roof then close the sides in.

• Gtractor and chieffan have said thanks

#5 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 05:06 PM

How big are you allowed to build without a permit (assuming you do not want to get one) and how much can you spend? I am planning on building a new shed next spring or summer. I currently have one that is 8'x12', but the walls only go about 4-1/2' high, then the roof starts to slope in at a very steep pitch, then changes to a shallow pitch at around 6'. My local building code allows for 108 square feet without a permit (10 square meters) which would let me go to 9x12. That does not sound like much of an improvement, but I plan on a 7 or 8' roll up door on the front and 9' high ceilings. the wider door will allow me to get what I need out, without having to move everything else. The current door is only 4' wide and it makes getting what you need out a PITA. Taller straight walls will allow me to put shelves along the walls, above head height to store small stuff. I also plan to put in a  small "loft" area above the roll up door. This will be for seldom used items, as I will have to go inside, then close the door to reach it.

Jim

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 05:15 PM

I second the carport idea.  For $585 they will come and erect a one-car carport on your location in a matter of about one hour. 

I know thats a little steep for a 15 year olds budget. 

The pallet shed is also a very good idea.  Pallets are usually found on the cheap or outright free.  

Drive around the countryside and find a building that has or is falling down and ask the land owner if you can have some of the tin.   

• chieffan said thank you

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Chieffan is bang on if you want cheap... Pallets are easy to find free. I saw a 20x30 garage framed with pallets some years ago. You have to know what is allowed in your area whether a building permit is required ,,what materials you can use...Portable garages are cheap enough,,my brother covered his portable shelter with used roofing tin when the plastic cover finally gave up the ghost... Frequently we see the bare frames offered for next to nothing on kijiji

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:22 PM

I forgot to mention that you can build the entire building out of the pallet material.  Just have to have a header over the door and a rafter every 4' for support of the pallets on the roof.  I doubt they would be water tight but a cheep tarp with lath on the und5siee of the rafters would drain any leakage out the back with a one slope roof.  You can pick up some cheep latex paint and dilute it down about 25% with water and make a satin out of it about any color you want.  I may not be considered to be a permanent building that way either.

Edited by chieffan, December 17, 2015 - 06:23 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 06:36 AM

My suggestion is a little too late in the season but if you talk to some small contractors that do decks , when they do the top board replacements ( or total rebuilds )  you usually find them willing to give you the old lumber for the taking .The tops are beat but by turning them over there not so bad .  I got about 30  2x6x12 old deck boards that way . I've used them for raised beds and other outdoor projects . I bet between those and pallets you could build a long lasting shed for cheap !

#10 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 05:54 PM

I did not realize that you are only 15. I guess you are likely on a tighter budget than you would need for the shed I have planned. I built an 8'x10' shed with a single slope roof, dirt floor and a steel roof a few years ago to house my pigs. I built it mostly from used/scavenged materials except the steel and strapping for the roof. I have a total of $300 Canadian into that one, it looks pretty good and it would easily house your two tractors and possibly a few attachments.  It is dark here right now and I can't seem to find any pictures of it on this computer, but I will take a couple pictures for you tomorrow. The rear wall is about 4-1/2' and the front wall is about 6-1/2'.

Another inexpensive option is to build a tarp shed. This is similar to the "portable garages", but you make the frame yourself out of wood. Make the two end walls out of 2x4 and plywood. Make your arches out of 2x4 with plywood gussets at the joints. Use 1x4 or 2x4 strapping to hold the spacing between the end walls and your arches and stretch an inexpensive tarp over it to form your sidewalls and roof. You will need to replace the tarp every few years with this option due to UV deterioration.

Regardless of how you build it, if you stay with a dirt floor for now, it will really help with the total cost. You can always jack it up and put a wood or concrete floor under it in the future if you decide to. Keep an eye out on Kijiji and Craigs list for used materials, sometimes you can get some incredible deals.

Jim

• pick-to-stone said thank you