Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Has anyone tried these T8-T12 LED type retro fit tubes ? I replaced a 2 tube fluorescent light fixture in our laundry room a while these might be a better choice when it time to replace the bulbs or if the ballast goes bad . Come to think of it my bil who's an electrician told me years ago that if a ballast went bad the cost was almost the same as the complete fixture he would give the customer the option , most choose the whole new light .

http://www.eledlight...CFZAAaQodANEJpA

Edit, new link:
https://www.eledligh...e-eligible.html

Edited by MH81, October 06, 2016 - 08:29 AM.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Your BIL is correct. I was told same thing at electrical warehouse and this guy was trying to get me maximum light for my peso!   I went with new T5's that offered 300% more light than the T12'. The LED were 40% more $$. LEDs cost more up here, not so much your way. 

• Alc said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 07:50 AM

I just put new T8 LEDs in my office.  I had already changed out the entire fixture around 6 months ago and came across these just a couple of weeks ago.  What a difference!  It's great light for what I do.  I have an older (T12 I guess?) fixture in the office as well and was wondering if these same light would work in it.  I never use that light so it's not a big deal at this time.

I love the LED lights.  So much better then those curly lights that everyone is trying to push.  In the cold weather they are instant on and very bright.  Lowes had a sale around black Friday where they had the 60W equivalent bulb (like a regular light bulb) for .99 each.  My wife bought around 30 of them.  We replaced many curly bulbs in the house and still have 4 left over.  We have more to replace but we got the ones that are on more often for now.  I don't know what it's like where you are but every so often we'll get something in the mail that shames us into believing we waste so much electricity.  They have a bar graph that supposedly shows our usage as opposed to our neighbors and, of course, ours is high compared to everyone else.  Now granted I have a home office where I run one light, one computer and a printer for 8 hours.  The only outside lighting we have are motion sensor lights of which two are LED and the other two will be LED soon.  When they come on they are only on for a minute.  Heck the furnace is the real electric pig and it hardly runs because of the wood stove.  Meanwhile my neighbors are burning all these lights 24 hours a day.  I just don't buy it.  I'll have to talk with the neighbors and see if they get the same propaganda.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 08:00 AM

T5 require a whole new fixture I still have 4 bulb T8 over my work bench...it is not anywhere near as bright as a 4 bulb T5. I read t12 can be adapted to led if you have 4' fixtures. All my fixtures were 8'.

Edited by Jazz, December 17, 2015 - 09:49 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 08:20 AM

D Brown, I get those each month. I was real high last year, because of cold and furnace running I think, it goes up each winter. Actually my bills have been way smaller this year. They want me to budget, but that is higher than what I'm paying as I go, so NAH! I'm always shown higher than most in my "neighborhood".   The other band for a weather spec home is always way low and seams unreachable in any way to me.  I'm Duke Electric, office way in another state!

• David Brown said thank you

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Can these work in a fixture if the ballast is shot?

I may look into these, but I have a brand 24 count box of T12's for my old fixtures.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Can these work in a fixture if the ballast is shot?

From the little bite I read you and buy them either way, ones you would use if the ballast was good , the other doesn't need them  , I was thinking on the LED ones that don't use the ballast because you can get old fixtures with bad ballast for free . I saved a few old fixtures that need ballasts so those would make a good start .

• TAHOE said thank you

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:56 AM

Al, I replaced my tubes at the camp with led replacements and it is great.  I also put in a complete led shop light at camp.  I'd say you can't go wrong.  I paid about 15 or 20 per replacement tube.  They came in a two pack.  I got them at a big box store, but can't remember which one.

• Alc said thank you

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 11:22 AM

I actually just heard about these the other day.  We have a ton of bad lights in our shop we are rehabbing and the guy I called about buying a couple dozen ballasts and 2 cases of bulbs talked me into ordering all new LED light replacement bulbs instead.  I haven't gotten them yet to install should be delivered any day now.

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 12:39 PM

I just read this. I guess a ballast will destroy a standard LED tube bulb unless is specifically design for a ballast fixture....

The LED bulbs will physically fit into the 4-foot-long fluorescent fixtures. However, the ballasts will ruin new straight-LED bulbs. Some LED bulb manufacturers offer bulbs that can work with the ballast in place, but they are less efficient and more expensive. (For more pros and cons on replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs, see bit.ly/tubereplacement.)

Here are the steps we took to replace our old T-8 linear fluorescent bulbs in an older kitchen fixture:

Step 1: Be Safe

Turn off the electricity. The “lock-out, tag-out” approach is safest—turn off the breaker that supplies power to that fixture. Tape a note over the breaker that explains you are working on a fixture and to keep the breaker off. Inform other people in the house what you are doing. Also make sure you wear eye protection—this is especially important should an old fluorescent bulb shatter while you are removing it.

Step 2: Remove the Bulbs

You may need to remove a fixture cover to expose them. In some states, fluorescent bulbs are considered hazardous material. They contain mercury, and should not be thrown in the trash but must be taken to a disposal center (some hardware stores serve as drop-off points). See bit.ly/lamprecycle for regulations in your state.

Step 3: Remove the Ballast

Remove the cover(s) from the ballast and wires and unscrew the ballast from the unit. Remove the ballast from the fixture wires, leaving enough of the black (typically “hot” or energized) and white (typically neutral) wires from the center to reach the socket wires. We threw the old ballasts in the trash. There are no regulations regarding their disposal and no recycling programs available for them.

Step 4: Rewire

Next, connect the fixture and socket wires together, then replace the wiring cover. The most straightforward way to rewire the fixture is to twist the wires together with the properly sized wire nuts. In our case, there were two yellow wires on the left side; and two reds and two blues on the right side. Regardless of the colors, the important thing is to put all the wires from one side together securely with one of the leads from the center (i.e., the incoming circuit wires), and all of the wires from the other side together with the other lead.

Some replacement LED tubes are made with both the hot and neutral connection on one side. In that case, you’ll need to rewire the sockets and follow the LED bulb manufacturer’s instructions.

Step 5: Install LEDs

Take the LED bulbs out of their packaging, peel off the protective plastic, and remove the tip guards. Install the bulbs as you would a fluorescent T-8, inserting each end into the slots and twisting to lock each into the receptacle, with the LED string facing down. All bulbs should be tightly seated.

Step 6: Try It Out

Return to the breaker box, remove your note, and turn on the breaker. Test the light and replace the cover, if your fixture has one.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, toomanytoys84 and 2 others have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Update:
We got 4 of these shortly after Al posted the link to them.
2 in a room that gets turned on & off a lot, 2 in an area that gets turned on at 9 and off at 7 6 days a week.
They are all holding up well and have had no issues.

The fixture does require a rewrire, but it's not a huge deal if you're comfy doing wiring.
  • Alc said thank you

#13 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 09:39 AM

We replaced all the lights in our shop just before we retired, the LED's went in the old fixtures minus the ballasts. They are current sensing and will be full brightness from 36v to 440 v, at least we were told that. I know the would light on 12v, we tried it.  They do make them now that use a ballast also. Way better light than the old florescent units, and electric bill dropped by 65%, honest story. 

• Alc said thank you

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 11:37 AM

Ours have been installed now for almost year. On 24/7. No issues. Work great.
  • Alc and Cvans have said thanks