• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 Potsie33 OFFLINE  

Potsie33
  • Member No: 78182
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 10:03 AM

LOL! MH81, you can add my name to the list of those who forgot to push in the clutch/brake prior to starting. Happen to me yesterday, spent probably a 1/2hr checking switches and wiring before it dawned me. Had a good laugh when I read your post!!

#47 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 10:27 AM

Very, very nice restoration!  I can't believe how well this is turning out.  Keep up the excellent work!

• JDub said thank you

#48 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • Member No: 76385
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 10:07 AM

Thanks all for the helpful input. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join the 'forgot to push in the clutch' club. I like those kinds of easy fixes, frustrating as they can be.

I'll run through the points suggested and see if I can make some headway. 

Edited by JDub, July 10, 2016 - 10:07 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#49 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 11:12 PM

I'm still struggling to find the electrical ghost. But, because I needed to start opening up shop space, I went ahead and started bolting on the body panels. So far, as my first garden tractor project, I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I still need to find someone to media blast the wheels. After that, some primer and paint, and mounting the tires, she'll be mostly ready to roll (as soon as I figure out my electrical problem). I also need to track down a new ammeter; the bolts on the old one were fully stripped, which required a piece of a hacksaw blade to remove. (I might throw some Craftsman decals on the hood, just to finish it off.)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1808.JPG
  • IMG_1811.JPG

Edited by JDub, August 01, 2016 - 11:16 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#50 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 05:15 AM

Looks good! There can be several things with the electrical issue. With new paint, you may not be getting a good ground in the wiring. The manual shows what the terminals are for in the diagnostic terminal. Using a multi meter, you can check those numbered connections to see what is going on.

• JDub said thank you

#51 rumbleseat OFFLINE  

rumbleseat
  • Member No: 67709
  • 124 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Great project and nice work.

About two years ago, I pulled a freebie GTV16 out of a field in Kansas and restored it for my aging dad to use.

Here's a quick video of some of the work (sorry about the music).

https://www.youtube....h?v=VcPbgbcec9o

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#52 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 12:08 AM

Thanks, rumble. Actually, pictures I found of your project via google helped keep me motivated through this project. Your GTV is a beauty.

About two years ago, I pulled a freebie GTV16 out of a field in Kansas and restored it for my aging dad to use.

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 05:43 AM

Nice job on that. I have the twin to your GTV/16 sitting here. The Variable speed handle is the same and has the same rear wheels. My other GTV/16 is different in those items.

#54 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 09:33 PM

Well, my first GT project is finally done. I spent about two hours working it around the field today, breaking in the new motor and making sure everything else is dialed in. I couldn't be more happy with the end result.

This endeavor brought me satisfaction and cussing, but most of the latter came from learning things the hard way.  For those wondering whether to dive into a project like this, I say go for it. This forum is an awesome resource that can help even a novice like me get it done.

KennyP, I owe you a great deal of gratitude for helping me through this. If I were skilled enough with an airbrush, I just might paint your name on the side of this GTV. Tecumseh, many thanks to you too for lending a helping hand on those early hurdles.

Before and after. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1322.JPG
  • IMG_2002.JPG

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#55 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 05:31 AM

That looks nice even in Red! Glad to help where I can!

#56 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 06:23 AM

Came out very nice :thumbs:  So if this was your first , does this make you want to do another ?

• KennyP said thank you

#57 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Came out very nice :thumbs:  So if this was your first , does this make you want to do another ?

Thanks! I'll definitely do at least two more. I have a GTII/6000 that's in pretty good running shape, but needs a paint job and some other TLC. I might be able to get that done this winter.

I've also got a Bolens 1886 that's in similar shape to the GTV when I got it. That project will probably have to wait a year or so, but I'll start tinkering on it soon.

Beyond those two, I'd love to do a few more. But, I'll need more storage space first.

#58 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 09:37 PM

That looks nice even in Red! Glad to help where I can!

Yeah, my Michigan wolverine wife wasn't too thrilled with the color choice. The next one will probably have to be blue to keep her happy.

• KennyP said thank you