• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • Member No: 76385
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 12:22 AM

After lots of time lurking here to get a feel for what I'd be getting in to, I picked up a project garden tractor. In my neck of the woods, these units are hard to come by. So, I was happy to find a complete GTV 18, along with a not quite complete parts tractor. Both units came with mower decks, and one of them came with a snow thrower. I plan to spend this winter fully refurbishing, if not restoring, one of the two to get it ready to work in the confines of the orchard next year. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1322.JPG
  • IMG_1323.JPG
  • IMG_1324.JPG
  • IMG_1325.jpg
  • IMG_1327.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 12:24 AM

The first order of business with the restoration unit was to get it running. The previous owner said it had some kind of fuel problem. Sure enough, it would turn over and generate spark, but wouldn't light. I pulled the fuel line, dropped it in a can of gas, and what do you know. It started. So, I drained the tank, pulled it, and discovered about a cup of quarter sized rocks in the tank. After cleaning the tank and replacing the plugs and air filter, it nows runs quite well.

Edited by JDub, December 17, 2015 - 12:31 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 12:30 AM

But, I'm now stuck with a problem. When I hauled it home, it shifted fine. But, since I got it in the shop, it won't shift out of gear. I pulled off the seat, tank, and fender and put it on jack stands to get a closer look at what's going on. When I shift to neutral, the transaxle pulley spins freely as it should. But, the wheels will not turn free. Instead, they spin in opposite directions. In gear, I can rotate the pulley and get the wheels to turn too. 

Any advice on what might be the problem? I'm a novice at this, but hope that with my basic tinkering skills, patience, and the help of the experts here that I can get this thing working. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Since I got stumped with this problem, I took the time to strip the rear fender and prime it. Figured I'd might as well keep the ball rolling in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1420.jpg
  • IMG_1424.jpg

• Alc and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 01:05 AM

Maybe some water has entered the tranny and it has frozen?  It don't take much.

Great machine!!  Thanx for the pictures.

#5 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 03:19 AM

With the tires off the ground and in neutral one wheel will spin in the opposite direction on many GT's Unless it has a posi type or locking rear----when you put it in gear and turn the pulley the wheels should turn in the same direction . have you tried driving it since you got it running---I 'am no expert by any means but  you may not have a problem at all .

Rocks in the gas tank is nothing new I did it when very young to one of by Dads engines ,glad to hear I not the only one that did it.

nice looking Gt  by the way   

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,367 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 05:34 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. I have 2 of the GTV/16's. Sounds like it is working as it should. Have you checked the fluid level back there? Here's a link to the GTV/16 manual. Should be the same except the engine.

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:09 AM

Brakes are dragging. Check the brake caliper , and pucks, I'm willing to bet they are stuck. Or the linkage is hanging up somewhere.

Edited by skyrydr2, December 17, 2015 - 07:00 AM.

• boyscout862 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:10 AM

Welcome to GTTalk  Looks like you have a nice project there :thumbs:

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,367 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:16 AM

Brakes are dragging. Check the brake caliper , and pucks, I'm willing to bet they are stuck.

These have a band around a flat pulley.

#10 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Thanks all for the helpful input. KennyP is right about the brake design on this unit, and it seems to be functioning properly. And, based on Bill 76's point, it sounds like KennyP might also be right that the unit is functioning as it should. I just assumed that in neutral the thing would roll freely.

I followed Bill 76's advice to try to drive it and, unfortunately, discovered another problem. The varidrive belts are loose, if not shot. Rather than waste time on belts that have been sitting out in the weather for years, I've ordered new ones matching the parts numbers in the manual. I'll update the post after more tinkering.

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 01:33 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• JDub said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,367 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 04:49 PM

Be sure to read the manual on adjusting the varidrive! It's a chore to adjust properly! And if not, the belts will slip again!

#13 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Be sure to read the manual on adjusting the varidrive! It's a chore to adjust properly! And if not, the belts will slip again!

Point well taken. I've been reading up on this system and have heard many others echoing your thoughts. I suspect the effort might lead me to utter a few bad words.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,367 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 05:43 PM

Point well taken. I've been reading up on this system and have heard many others echoing your thoughts. I suspect the effort might lead me to utter a few bad words.

It's not bad if you follow the directions. Just takes a bit to do it right. Might practice some with the old belts. It may help there!

#15 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 08:25 PM

You cant go by how the wheels spin in neutral , it is a different al they will spin different ways, even in neutral, from drive static. Put the tractor on the ground and put it in neutral, reach up under and spin the drive pulley with your hand. If the tractor doesn't move it's fine . Then put it in gear and do the same thing the tractor should move
  • KennyP said thank you