• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 07:03 PM

I have a decent shape Bolens 1000 that I would like to paint, a previous owner spay painted everything red except for the hood and fender (original color was brown).

What is the best way of stripping the paint off? I know sandblasting would get the job done but I'm worried about the sand getting in the gearbox, engine or other unwanted areas. I intend to strip the tractor down but I don't intend to go into the engine or gearbox.

Does anyone have experience with soda blasting? Or would I end up with the same concerns as with sandblasting?

Is there a paint stripper product I could use on the gearbox and engine and do the rest of the tractor blasting?

uploadfromtaptalk1450310602476.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1450310612636.jpg
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 07:35 PM

I use my 4-1/2" angle grinder with a wire wheel.

works great for removing paint and rust

to remove paint, I remove the paint in an area first then came back so that you remove the paint towards where the paint was removed.

if you try to remove paint towards the painted area - you melt the paint and make it harder to remove the paint.

buy the cheapest wire wheels - they work just as good the higher price ones.  I get mine for Menards around $5 each

I have left the part for several weeks before I got around to paint the parts.  Little or no rust on the parts.

If you use a sand blaster or chemicals the parts will rust after a few days.

• Chubien and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 08:44 PM

Use tape to seal up areas you don't want sand to enter. So much faster than paint strippers and you can get into areas a wire wheel can't go. I sandblast engines to clean them up ahead of a rattle can rebuild.  I was sand blasting V8 engine last month. One of the frost plugs started leaking during the cleaning. Bonus to find the leak now than later as replacing frost plugs was not on my list.

Edited by Jazz, December 16, 2015 - 08:45 PM.

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 09:52 PM

Several things , first : chances are if the paint has any age to it most likely it's lead based ,so protect yourself and working environment accordingly. Second IF there is ANY of the original Bolens paint , I will temper this because I don't know when they went to the powdercoat/paint system they used and haven't blasted any thing as old as a 1000, BUT if it is you will be a month of Sunday's and about 100# lbs into soda to get it stripped, I use Fast Cut Max (http://www.tptools.c...e,2963.html?b=d*8019) in my cabinet and it takes a while with the Bolens stuff plus the dust collector is equipped with a HEPA filter in case of lead .
I like the the 3M bristle disc for quick paint removal ( outside) not as aggressive and they don't build heat like a wire wheel on a grinder. I've used Piranha (http://www.fiberlock.../lead/5720.html) and Kleen strip both , both work( https://m.mscdirect....il?id=70250659) like Piranha better.
Soda blast will lodge in all nooks and crannies and is harder to clean out of because it's such a finer material

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, December 16, 2015 - 10:01 PM.

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Aircraft stripper works pretty well, but can be messy.

• Chubien said thank you

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 10:07 AM

There is another method, but I don't know how readily available it may be for you.

Some car guys have had things blasted by the people who clean commercial kitchens.

Small pellets of dry-ice (CO2) are used to blast away crud and grease.  ....The dry-ice evaporates and leaves no residue, except for the crud removed.

If any dry-ice should get into the engine or gearbox, it will evaporate and not cause any damage or leave any residue.

• skyrydr2, Chubien and 29 Chev have said thanks

#7 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 04:19 PM

I had never heard of co2 blasting, I will look into that.

I was thinking of using a wire wheel for the hood and fender (or the 3M bristle disc) and doing the smaller parts in my blasting cabinet.

I may look into the paint stripper for certain area of the gearbox and engine or tape and sandblast as suggested above. Will let you know what I come up with.

#8 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 05:02 PM

CO2 blasting i never heard of but must require some special equipment...Dry ice has its health issues as well.. We had a container with 500 live lobsters arrive on dock. Yard ape was told "keep 'em cold"  So he tossed in a block of dry ice In dry box (lack of training, not yard apes responsibility) .lobsters all suffocated.. pricey error.  

I wear a respirator with fine dust filters when ever sandblasting. The atmosphere becomes very toxic no matter what you are blasting.

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 11:45 AM

I have done lots of sand blasting over the years in the driveway. usually I will pull a machine totally apart as far as it can be. For things like rear ends, there are ways to prevent entry into places that you don't want sand. I've done cast iron engine blocks, and cut up an old inner tube to make gaskets from so that sand didn't get inside the block. The biggest problem I have had was when there was any oil/grease residue left on the parts to be blasted. that doesn't blast so well. I have duct taped openings that I want to keep sand from, yeah the sand will cut thru the duct tape after a bit, it holds long enough to get the job done, trick there is "nozzle control" don't concentrate the sand spray right onto the tape, work around it as much as possible.  I always blow the freshly stripped parts off with the air gun, I can't really say that I've had a problem with trapped sand in places where it doesn't belong. I like being able to get down to bare metal in every crack and crevice, if it's something worth taking apart that far to repaint. Can't always do that, especially inside corners, with a wire wheel. sand blast is better for built up scale, too, than wire brushing. 

Blasting leaves a better texture for your primer to stick to.  I typically blast with black beauty which is a coal slag product, it comes in a couple of different grits, I like that better than silica sand.  I usually sweep up what I can and strain it thru a piece of window screen to keep the crap out and reuse my blast media until it is broken down into a useless dust. In my blast cabinet I use glass beads.

I also do my share of wire brushing and flapper wheeling, too.