• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 10:04 AM

I used to clear snow with 8hp Toro. A bit slow but got the job done no matter how many feet of snow. Slow and steady finishes the race. Like any power unit ,,more HP's get the job done faster. My neighbours big horse cleared out the driveway pretty quick. We ended up with a foot of wet snow, trees are down, power out to 25,000 residents. This is NOT northern weather. We usually have nice fluffy light snow and -20 temps this time of year.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• propane1 said thank you

#17 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 01:29 PM

I don't have any issues with any snow except cleaning up 1" of slush, that can't be fed fast enough and will plug my shute. I have seen these 3 stage units work, no different than a 2 stage other than a funny looking snowbank face.
Biggest issue with most blowers are power to the impeller, and impeller speed/ volume. Get these correct and you can blow just about any snow out into the neighbors yard .;-)

I've regarded wet slush as time to get out the shovel.

Mike

#18 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 01:41 PM

I've regarded wet slush as time to get out the shovel.

Mike

Forget that!! My drive is way too big for that, I just slap on me plow and give it a scrape, then i put the blower back on and sling that slop over the edges and gone.
Nice thing is, I can change my attachments very quickly and easily, pull 1 pin, pop off the hoses and drive shaft and back away. Plow is even easier, no prop shaft to un hook or hook back up.
I can swap things around faster than most deck removals on a garden tractor.
  • MolonLabe and Paulgo have said thanks

#19 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 02:53 PM

Forget that!! My drive is way too big for that, I just slap on me plow and give it a scrape, then i put the blower back on and sling that slop over the edges and gone.

And that's why I have a plow on my wheeler, the wheeler gets used for clearing large areas whether slush or powder and it's used exclusively for berms from city plows.

Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, December 17, 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#20 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 08:46 AM

I used to clear snow with 8hp Toro. A bit slow but got the job done no matter how many feet of snow. Slow and steady finishes the race. Like any power unit ,,more HP's get the job done faster. My neighbours big horse cleared out the driveway pretty quick. We ended up with a foot of wet snow, trees are down, power out to 25,000 residents. This is NOT northern weather. We usually have nice fluffy light snow and -20 temps this time of year.

Only 4" out in slate river jazz... 5 cars in the ditch when dad was coming home. I'd prefer the dry powdery stuff as it's better for my bronchitis... hauling straw for the chickens was interesting with the slush. Hope off put the tractor in 1stpush jump back shift to 2nd shift to 3rd get stuck repeat. Trying to get to the dog kennel was a circus.