• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DowneyB OFFLINE  

DowneyB
  • Member No: 55499
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 05:06 PM

I recently got a bantam 5000. No idea of year, Serial tag was taken off before I got it. My goal is to make it operational for my two boys (And me, of course) and maybe later clean it up a bit. I have done some searching on the internet, and I have looked at a lot of restored pictures. I have a couple of questions as I move through this.

1. I did not get a clutch with it. I would like to fabricate a belt pulley clutch. Has anyone done this before? Or something similar? Got pictures?

2. The steering shaft is not attached in any way. The steering gears appear to be in reasonably good shape though. Is there a specific way that the loop at the front end needs to be set to hold the shaft? Also, does anyone have any pictures of the retainer/bearing thing that holds the shaft to the dash?

Thank you!

Brock

Edited by DowneyB, December 16, 2015 - 05:06 PM.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 05:58 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Someone should be along to answer your questions! In the meantime, check out the link in my signature and upload some pics of this fine machine!

• simplexguy said thank you

#3 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Welcome to gt talk. Some one will be here soon to help you!

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,465 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 07:16 PM

There was a fella at Portland, IN show that had these in knock down kits sort of and he made parts and sold many assemblies. I didn't get his card, but maybe someone on here knows who that was. Seems he was odd-ball collector or sales guy, maybe Michigan location? Maybe search on epay would bring him up? 

#5 DowneyB OFFLINE  

DowneyB
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 09:05 AM

Pictures from when I got it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG119.jpg
  • IMG120.jpg

#6 DowneyB OFFLINE  

DowneyB
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 10:38 AM

I did some head scratching and figuring, and I think I will use a small vbelt pulley and push it outwards to engage the belt.  The pulleys are close enough together that I don't think a flat pulley on the backside will work.

For the steering wheel, I found some literature on www.bantamtractor.com that mentioned a "Steering wheel fiber washer" part 5504.  I think this is how the shaft is secured in the dash.  I have not found any good pictures of this piece, though. 

I am using a really small harbor freight engine to power this.  I have the original engine, minus some parts, and it does kinda run, but it needs a rebuild pretty bad. My plan is to mount any clutch hardware to the mounting plate that I will need for the HF engine.

Brock

#7 OLDIRONLINDY OFFLINE  

OLDIRONLINDY

• Member No: 6596
  • 82 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted December 18, 2015 - 09:12 PM

One of our bantams has a centrifugal clutch on it similar to a mini bike or go cart just hit the throttle and away you go. Works great for the kids although you won't do any heavy pulling with it.