• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,847 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 09:12 PM

Have you heard this from me before?  I HATE CHANGE!!!!  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:    :firejumper:  :firejumper:  :firejumper:    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FOLKS, DON'T FIX IT!

There, rant over, I feel much better now.

• grnspot110 and chieffan have said thanks

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Have you heard this from me before?  I HATE CHANGE!!!!  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:    :firejumper:  :firejumper:  :firejumper:    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FOLKS, DON'T FIX IT!

There, rant over, I feel much better now.

I agree 100%. 
What happened to "Keep It Simple - Make It Fun." ? ?  No answer to post #12 either?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 12:21 PM

You can install a windows emulator called Wine or a program called Play on Linux that is GUI for Wine.  Be warned though that not all windows programs run well on Wine, You can go here to see if anyone has tried it on Wine.  There is usually a Linux program that can replace the windows version.

Chieftan, Yes you can install Linux side by side with Windows.  The main thing you have to keep in mind is Windows has to be installed first.  Most Linux installations have an option during the install procedure that you can select to install it along side Windows.  It will take your free space and divide it up between Windows and Linux.  then when you boot the computer you will have a menu come up so you can select which OS you want to use.  Also programs like Thunderbird, Firefox, Chrome are available in Linux. 

Kenny: last time I tried it Sketcher worked pretty well under Wine, but it has been a while.  Also there are a number of image type applications available natively to Linux. Just browse the software center and maybe run a search for image or photo and see if you might like any of them.  If so just install the ones you like, it doesn't cost any $$$ and if you find one you like you can make a donation to the project if you like.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 09:13 AM

You can install a windows emulator called Wine or a program called Play on Linux that is GUI for Wine.  Be warned though that not all windows programs run well on Wine, You can go here to see if anyone has tried it on Wine.  There is usually a Linux program that can replace the windows version.

Chieftan, Yes you can install Linux side by side with Windows.  The main thing you have to keep in mind is Windows has to be installed first.  Most Linux installations have an option during the install procedure that you can select to install it along side Windows.  It will take your free space and divide it up between Windows and Linux.  then when you boot the computer you will have a menu come up so you can select which OS you want to use.  Also programs like Thunderbird, Firefox, Chrome are available in Linux. 

Kenny: last time I tried it Sketcher worked pretty well under Wine, but it has been a while.  Also there are a number of image type applications available natively to Linux. Just browse the software center and maybe run a search for image or photo and see if you might like any of them.  If so just install the ones you like, it doesn't cost any $$$ and if you find one you like you can make a donation to the project if you like.

Thanks much for that answer.  Didn't want to drop W7 and go striaght into something else I know nothing about.

• grnspot110 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#20 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:43 AM

I tried w10 and the photo stuff is totally destroyed, always wanted to store to the cloud... And was a monster to navigate so I switched back, now I will need to go and turn off auto updates on all my rigs..... Then switch to Linux and learn all over again.... I actually like my android units ,wish my pcs worked like they do .....
  • KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:10 PM

I tried w10 and the photo stuff is totally destroyed, always wanted to store to the cloud... And was a monster to navigate so I switched back, now I will need to go and turn off auto updates on all my rigs..... Then switch to Linux and learn all over again.... I actually like my android units ,wish my pcs worked like they do .....

I'm doing well with Linux! Been on Windows for most of my computer life. Not as bad as I thought! Go find a cheap used PC and put the Linux on that. It will give you a place to learn without messing up the good one.

• Alc, skyrydr2, Trav1s and 2 others have said thanks

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:47 AM

I have an extra machine and will have to do the switch after Christmas.. I need to get a giant tablet on Android I guess........and to think, the masses will accept this crap and like it...
  • chieffan said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 07:06 AM

If you burn the ISO to a disk, you can run it without installing.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#24 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:48 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...25695.html?nf=1

• ducky, Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#25 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:50 AM

Turned off auto update on my windows pcs and the windows 10 crap has stopped... At least for now, until they find a way to get in, or make it start with a bug of some sort.. I don't use it to surf the web anyways, so its inter web umbilical cord is not connected....
  • Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win10, win7, win8, win8.1