#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 09:40 PM

Want a new puter. Not much in PC's advertised anymore, seems they are on way out. I was liking the One-piece guys with just screen and keyboard, but many say not too good for reasons I don't know. I don't need real fancy, not a puter geek, mostly for looking forums and ebay and such things. Some picture playing maybe. Kinda looking at Dell brand.  Seems most no longer have anything with them, have to buy the keyboard and mouse and monitor all seperate. I'm thinking of a 21" or so monitor, any bigger just seems to big for close up on a desk. Some offer 23", not sure I'ld want that big. Would have to be cordless keyboard and mouse, have those now,  but want newer. Want to go Windows 10, but some sales are going 7 or 8.1 still for lower price ones. I have no idea the Gigabyte size or whatever for hard drive or Ram, those jump wildly all over.  I don't need Gaming features, never do those. Any suggestions from those that know puters better than me?  Won't be an Apple, too much $$ for what is gotten with them and don't want to learn new programs all over. Stuck in Windows mode. Looked at Best Buy some, but they would rather sell you a laptop or other small ones.  I want to leave this on the desk, not take with.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 10:07 PM

I went to our local puter repair, mom and pop place and had them build me a "desk top" to replace my out of date one. I already had the monitor, key board and mouse. Told them what I use it for, basically the same as your describing, and they built me one.

Didn't feel like dealing with the big box people, plus I feel dumb talking with them cause I know nothing about puters. So try a local place and get a price on them building you what you'll use, rather than buying one with things you'll never use. 

• shorty, HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Asus 502 (laptop)is highly recommended.  Not too pricey and being a 2015 model might be some good deals on it. Laptop offers more flexibility. Have not had a desktop for 15 years.. My last laptop was a Acer,,no issues with it but became out dated. My Macbook Pro is 8  years old,,no issues. 

I use the mouse on my keyboard...not everyones liking but I never have to look for mouse ...

Edited by Jazz, December 15, 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 10:57 PM

YOU ... Have to look at  computers like Tractors .... YOU  went to stay Away from John deer's ,cub cadet's ,Kubota's and Bolens,  ..... YOU went to look at  m t d , or power kings or others, There cheep , and easy to get and used . YOU ... don't went to spend a lot of money for a computer, that  you are only going to used for a year or two... ? ? ? ?

Patrick.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 12:36 AM

I've bought my last three computors at Staples. They have their own service department. Several months ago I got a new one for my wife. I watched the sales and got a decent HP for $270. It included mouse and keyboard. We've been happy with it. Waiting for the 24" or 30"  tvs to go on sale at Target. Our son put a 40" tv on his computor and uses it as a monitor and a tv. Good Luck, Rick

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 06:42 AM

Just me, but I have had laptops the last 3 computers......sits on my lap in front of the TV or wherever, can take it out to the shop if I need to look something up....much more versatile. 

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 11:53 AM

I've been building and repairing PCs for a long long time.My current PC cost me roughly $1,200 to build.You can buy the same PC Pre built for around $2,300 from several sites online.

If I was buying a Home PC I would most likely buy a Mid priced Dell with an i5 or i7 cpu and 8-12gb of memory and 1-2tb hard drive.The business class Dell and Dell XPS computers seem to hold up alot longer than anything out there.

I recommend a decent mid priced PC.Don't ever get the cheap $300 PC they do not last.I've fixed more of the cheap Dell,Acer and HP/Compaq PCs than any other.I'm talking over 100 of them over the last 5 years.

The $500-$600 PCs will last a good long time and are atleast twice as fast as the cheaper ones.

This one is really decent for the money but you still need a Monitor.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883158232

Dell sells them without monitors also and has several monitors to choose from but prices vary from $120 to $300 for just a monitor.

The All-In-One PCs are Junk.They are basically a small under powered Laptop stuffed in the back of a LED/LCD monitor.There slow,unreliable and not really upgradeable. 

• MH81 said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 01:55 PM

Buy one from you local computer repair guy.  He will know more about what you need and/or want than any salesperson on a showroom floor..  He can build it with the newest and more reliable boards and you end up getting just what you want/need.  No more, no less.  To many pre-built systems use up what they can get their hands on cheep and stick it in the system.  Case my be brand new but components could be 5 years old.

My present desk top was a gaming computer and was loaded with RAM and big hard drive.  Put a good CD/DVD player recorder along with a standard CD player.  Case says ACER but it is what is inside that does the work.  Have 21" Acer monitor as that was on sale after Christmas couple years ago.  Keyboard is an older Microsoft Natural and just bought a cordless mouse.  Been running this for well over a year and no problems what so ever.  I have a $50 laptop I use in the shop.  Has WiFi if I want it.  All my manuals are put on CD's and that is what I use in the shop.  Can see a whole page an read it without squinting like using a cell phone.  CD's are cheep and provide a very reliable storage device.  Don't have to have any cloud storage or any of that stuff.  I have 2 hard drive motor failures in the last 20 years and the Tech saved ALL the date off them and put it on the new HD.  He does not recommend or use outside storage devices. 

Buying  computer is kind of like buying a vehicle.  We all have our favorite brand and that is what we look for.  Rest is what we want, then what we really need.  Good luck with your search.

Edited by chieffan, December 16, 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 02:19 PM

Some good advice above.  Don't worry about if it has windows 7 or 8 you can upgrade for free, and from what I have been reading you won't have a choice.  You can get some good deals on Newegg.com if you don't mind waiting a few days with shipping.  I would think at a minimum 4 Gig of Ram and a 500 Gig HDD but I always tell folks the more memory (Ram) the better depending on your budget.