6 replies to this topic

#1 RBhistoricalsalvage OFFLINE  

RBhistoricalsalvage
  • Member No: 78707
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 12:25 PM

hello everyone,

I am trying to help the elderly man down the road from me get his tractor back up and running before the snow hits today.  He has a 918 Allis chalmers, I think it is an Agco / Allis, anyhow it looks like after the last snow we had and he plowed his drive and parked it, it leaked oil out of the rear end / transmission area.  I am not sure where to check the fluid level for sure.  I looked at for all of 2 min a few days ago when i drove by going home and seen him on the ground.  I thought he fell so i stopped to help him and found out he was looking at the tractor.  So i thought i might go down and at least check a few things for him today.

If any one could please let me know and what kind of oil that takes,  I might be able to at the least get it running so he can do his drive.

thanks in advance

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 01:30 PM

Welcome to GTT. We have a pretty good Manuals Section where you can download the manual for that info. Good Luck, Rick

Try this one:   http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Edited by boyscout862, December 15, 2015 - 01:34 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 RBhistoricalsalvage OFFLINE  

RBhistoricalsalvage
  • Member No: 78707
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 05:18 PM

thank you, i'll see if i can make heads or tails out of it.  

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 05:32 PM

That's nice of you to help out. Not many people do that these days. Would be a better place if more people did. 

• Talntedmrgreen and John Arsenault have said thanks

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 06:09 PM

If there anything like the 718 the one I had when I got it had the fill tube broken off. The fill tube etc is or should be at the back of the tractor between the sides of the rear hitch.

Attached Thumbnails

• Allis winter project 006 (Small).jpg
  • Allis winter project 017 (Small).jpg

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 09:14 PM

Man, that IS bad place for a fill tube. I could see where you might break that off hooking up something on a hitch. Might be good thing to check. Otherwise if it is really leaking, could be lots of things like seals or maybe a bad hose. May not be an easy fix, and will need more tear-down?  Should have fixed in summer.

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted December 16, 2015 - 09:00 AM

hello everyone,

I am trying to help the elderly man down the road from me get his tractor back up and running before the snow hits today.  He has a 918 Allis chalmers, I think it is an Agco / Allis, anyhow it looks like after the last snow we had and he plowed his drive and parked it, it leaked oil out of the rear end / transmission area.  I am not sure where to check the fluid level for sure.  I looked at for all of 2 min a few days ago when i drove by going home and seen him on the ground.  I thought he fell so i stopped to help him and found out he was looking at the tractor.  So i thought i might go down and at least check a few things for him today.

If any one could please let me know and what kind of oil that takes,  I might be able to at the least get it running so he can do his drive.

thanks in advance

When I fall down people drive by and laugh!

• MolonLabe said thank you