• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 01:47 PM

Hope this is the correct place to put this.    We have a bunch of old hi 8 camcorder tapes that I would love to transfer to dvd or my computer hard drive,   any suggestions?    I really do not know where to start

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,637 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 01:57 PM

You will need some kind of video capture card or USB devices such as one of these.  Pick the ones your are interested in and read the reviews.  The big thing is the software they come with on how well it works. Make sure the software can save it in MP4 format, a lot easier to deal with later.  The one I have came with Arcsoft software which, I think, is fairly easy to use.

Next install the drivers for your device and the software.  Connect the camcorder to the device and play your tape then start the capture software.  When it is done save it to the hard drive and then if you like you can burn it to a DVD.  You can do the same thing with VHS tapes.  Have fun.

• boyscout862 and Hydro guy have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,757 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 02:22 PM

Our small camcorder tapes can play in a cartridge in a standard VCR player.  Have the VCR player and the DVD player/recorder in one unit.  Play the tape and record it on the DVD direct transfer.  Plays back in any DVD or Video CD player.  Haven't tried to play one on the computer as we always use one of the TV's.  Can't do the commercially produced VCR tapes that way though.  Protected against that.

Edited by chieffan, December 14, 2015 - 02:23 PM.

• Trav1s and Hydro guy have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,663 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 05:59 PM

If you don't have a working Hi8 unit, you are going to struggle.
I believe you will have to contact one of the online companies that do it and see if they are able to do your version of 8
  • HDWildBill and Hydro guy have said thanks

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,604 Thanks
  • 38,986 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 11:08 AM

A friend did that transfer some time back. I think he took them to a Best Buy in Tulsa. Only one store in town could do that at that time.

• HDWildBill said thank you