• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Z Man OFFLINE  

The Z Man
  • Member No: 77940
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 11:21 PM

The ignition key for my GT18 fell out somewhere in the woods. i can still operate the ignition with a screwdriver, but it's obnoxious. Anyone know what kind of key I need as a replacement?

However, more than a replacement key, I'd really like to replace the switch with a keyless switch and start button. Anyone ever do anything like that? 

Thanks.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 11:44 PM

Any mower key will fit it. And I saw three switches on ebay yesterday, for them I have a gt 18 also. It was under sears st I believe it's the same switch.

#3 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 11:45 PM

Don't ever send 12v to your stator or you will fry it. Pay attention when your wiring a new one. And you can make a start button if you wire it right

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Any mower key will fit it. And I saw three switches on ebay yesterday, for them I have a gt 18 also. It was under sears st I believe it's the same switch.

That depends on what motor he has. Sears used the GT 18 badge in 78/79 on both the single Tecs and the Twins and they do not use the same switch, I found out the hard way.

What type of "keyless switch" are you looking at? You could use a toggle switch if you want to turn power on /off. you could also easily wire the solenoid/Starter through a push button, I would just make sure you have enough fail safes in the circuit ( fuses, relays, etc)

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 12:13 PM

I keep a nylon string on my key and around the steering column.  When those switches get old and wore the keys will fall out.  Not only on Gt's but the big machines also.

#6 The Z Man OFFLINE  

The Z Man
  • Member No: 77940
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 10:14 AM

Well, my wife found the key in the yard. Amazing.

But what I'd like to have is a large toggle switch for power on/off, and an adjacent button for start. Sequence would be: switch to on, push and hold button to engage starter, release button, operate, switch to off.

Maybe I'll spend a few hours starting at the wiring this winter and come up with something.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 19, 2015 - 12:01 PM

I like staying with a key switch as I can remove them at a show and some kid cannot start the tractor!