• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • Member No: 77395
  • 294 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 12:45 PM

So I guess my brother and dad saved that Briggs from the dumpster. So in lamens terms how can I make it work? I'm not expert like you guys but if I can get it to fit somehow any help would be appreciated. Remember the shaft is too big so if I get that problem solved the motor will work
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 01:32 PM

can you find a pulley (or stack) with the right diameter for the crank and  the same outside diameter for the belt(s)?

not sure what that setup looks like.

Do you know a buddy in a machine shop? I have  a few  ideas here/// either;

1. have the pulley bored to crank diameter  and a new keyway cut in,
(works best with steel or cast iron pulley setup, not so much with stamped/fabricated pulley) 

or 2.  pull the flywheel from the engine, pull the side cover (or sump if vertical shaft) yank the crank and have your buddy cut the PTO end of it down to where your original pulley(s) will fit.  if too long it probably wont hurt a thing, better than too short but that too can be cut down if absolutely have to, if the extra length interferes with something....  when machining down to the skinnier diameter, just don't machine too far "up" the crank. Leave enough shoulder so that the original oil seal still rides on the crank,  all engines of that series would have had the same seal, the  diameter change for what ever machine they built "that" engine for, always starts beyond the seal surface... only parts that you would have to replace  to do this would be sump (or side cover)  gasket and that oil seal, probably not a bad idea anyways as your replacement engine is used too, right?

3.  See if you can find someone parting an 8HP like yours that has a crank with the correct PTO end configuration (diameter, keyway, length etc)

I have done any/all of the above  when doing an engine transplant over the years/

this was the machine that you pulled a 6hp from and have an 8hp to go back in, right?

Edited by dodge trucker, December 13, 2015 - 01:33 PM.

• chieffan and Orange appeal have said thanks

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,669 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 02:56 PM

Would something like these weld a hubs work?

They can be found many places. Get one to fit the shaft and the proper size pulley.

Just a thought.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,761 Thanks
  • 4,269 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Got to watch those weld a hubs.  They don't always come out centered.

• Bmerf and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • Member No: 77395
  • 294 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:22 PM

Sweet thanks that could just work