Garden Tractor Forums banner

$100 front end loader

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  victor3ranger 
#1 ·
I bought this front end loader today for $100. There is a tired old small engin repair guy in my town. He has had it in his shop for years. He said it came off a J.D. 110 I can't find any tags or stamped numbers on it. I was wounded what you guys though about it. It has just what you see in the pics.
Do you think it's home built or factory?
Did I get if for a good price?
What should I start looking to put it on?
I have a Wheel Horse 310-8, and a Craftsman GTV 18 also (I know it's probbly not a good choice) but I also have an older Craftsman 2 GT 6000

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You got an excellent deal. As far as tractors go the heavier and wider the better. It does resemble the Kwik-way. Which makes it a self leveling loader. The good is the bucket always stays at the level where it was last used and the bad is the it's a little heavier because of that.

Good luck with your new purchase.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fantastic deal
You will need a pump for that. The OEM one on mine was a Delta pump.
They have discontinued the OEM, but the exact same pump with side load bearings is still avail in the d series.

I'll try to find the info on the one I bought and post it.

Found it,
Product Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel

I bought a D4, but don't go any higher than that as the max RPM's begins to drop below engine max potential and 1:1 pullies aren't within tolerances.

BTW, even with the side load bearings, don't have the belt to tight or allow the frame to move as it could tighten the belt and break the input shaft... Ask me how I know :wallbanging:

Attachments

#8 ·
OH man did you get rooked !!! To make you feel better I can give you your $100 back as I need one of those :D :thumbs: I see $500 just in hydraulic hoses on that thing !!! great score now to find the mounts or patterns for mounts for whatever GT you want to put it on.

Pete

#9 ·
Its probably no good - I'll take it off your hands for $200 :smilewink:

#10 ·
What pump is on yours?
It doesn't have a pump, the previous owner had the hydraulics plugged into a port on the tractor and then had the valve on the tractor held open with a rope.

I have no idea how well it worked since the engine was locked up and the steering was out, but I'm betting it was very slow and had no power.

I have several pumps that I think should work, I just need to find a way to mount it on the HT23.

#11 ·
I'd pay $100 for that,,,could likely pry another sawbuck out me for that piece..consider the time and cost fabricating something like that yourself. Possibly you may need to make some minor alterations to fit your machine. All the hard work is done.

#13 ·
Self-leveling frame for the bucket. Makes them a little heavier with extra parts. Like the tubing used for plumbing, not all hoses. Bucket come with it? Those tractors you have might be a little light. The bigger Sears maybe would work. The wheelhorse is good rig, but that is a smaller model of that line.

#14 ·
I have a lot to learn befor I start the install. I would love to have it on the GT 6000 because of its large frame size, but it is a vertical shaft engine. Dose that make it any more difficult to install? I feel confident that I could reinforce the frame and beef up the steering. But I gusse I'll have some time to keep shopping for a good candidate while I'm learning. Any other advice on pump and controls would be awesome. What exactly is self leveling? Thanks everyone I realy apriciate the advice and feed back.

#15 ·
Dose that make it any more difficult to install?
It will make installing the hydraulic pump a lot more difficult.

What exactly is self leveling?
On a normal loader as you raise the loader the bucket keeps tipping back further as you go higher. On a self leveling loader if the bottom of the loader bucket is level with the ground when you start raising the loader the bucket will stay parallel with the ground and not tip back. Hope you under stand what I'm saying.

Notice how the bucket on this machine does not tip back as the loader is raised.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
It will make installing the hydraulic pump a lot more difficult.
:ditto:
But not impossible.
Make sure the pump you are trying to use will be OK in the vert position. Another consideration is will it have to be shaft down or can it be shaft up. With the low clearance of the GT6K, I'd bet the thing will need to be shaft down which will possibly put the seal (and retainers) under a little harsher use.
You may be able to run a belt thru a simple mule drive of some kind and then to the pump (now horizontal)
You would be using the electric clutch, so make sure the anti spin pin is good (no sense going thru all of it just to have the clutch junk out.

Also, while a decent unit, the GT6k isn't a super heavy frame. What you build under her will need to tie into the axel mounts at the rear and the pivot up front.
I would also investigate upgrading the front axel to 1" spindles and reinforcing the steering components, if possible.

#17 ·
Now that's a steal in my book, around here loaders usually stay around 1000-1500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.