• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 06:35 PM

My 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty finally broke down on me at 347,000 miles. I started smelling rear end grease the  last few times I drove it. Finally saw some smoke when I parked it last week so I decided yesterday to start taking it apart to see if I just had a seal out or what was up. Spent about 1hr or so pulling it down ti find everything in the hub was oil soaked, even the inside of the tire and rim. The seal is bad and also the bearings have some pitting in them. Got the parts ordered today, some from the Ford dealer and the Emergency brake shoes off of Ebay for less than half at the Ford dealer. This axle uses a 2 piece seal which I really don't like installing, but will be very careful not to mess it up. Parts will be in at Ford on Monday and the brake shoes should be here Wednesday so I will just get everything cleaned up and wait on parts.

And BTW, I used a hammer on my breaker bar to loosen everything up before you guys give me a hard time about pulling on wrenches..

IMG_20151210_174617_302.jpg IMG_20151211_172022_250.jpg IMG_20151211_171924_343.jpg IMG_20151211_171952_589.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Glad it was simple enough and not awfully expensive.  Even better hearing you were careful with yourself while doing this.  I know even though it hurts, being able to do things like this after a life altering ordeal gives one a good feeling mentally.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, chris m and 2 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 06:44 PM

It should have lasted atleast 400,000 miles. They just don't build them to last anymore. Good Luck, Rick

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 06:59 PM

Might want to give the other side a look-see! Thanks for taking it easy with the bolts. Still gotta tighten things, you know!

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Might want to give the other side a look-see! Thanks for taking it easy with the bolts. Still gotta tighten things, you know!

I will be off my lifting limit on Tuesday, so I should be good to use the torque wrench. Going to pull down the other side in a couple weeks to go through that side.

• Gtractor, KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:26 PM

I will be off my lifting limit on Tuesday, so I should be good to use the torque wrench.  

Just don't go from 10lb to unlimited right off like I (might) have done.  It doesn't pay dividends!

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 08:15 PM

I agree with above. Take it real easy. Use a scissors jack to operate the wrench. If you overdo now, the damage can take years before it stops hurting. Allow yourself only alittle more weight each day. I hope that you don't have any setbacks. Good Luck, Rick

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 08:27 PM

Glad its a simple repair!

You might need to borrow Daniels new 3/4 impact. 

The reason I say that is the "Ace Ma-chan-ick" where I used to work was servicing an F250 one day and had the rear hub off.  When he put it back together he used a 3/4 impact with a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter and a 1/2 inch drive socket.   He held the impact on the spindle nut until the 3/4 to 1/2 adapter gave out.  Then he cussed and stated he'd never get that nut tight enough now because he didn't have any 3/4 drive socket that'd fit the spindle nut. 

I was in amazement!!!

I just had to find something to do around the shop until he got the wheels mounted [he did both sides] and tried to take the truck out for one of his famous hour and a half "test drives".  

We all had a good laugh when the truck wouldn't move.  Seems the bearing load was a little more than the 351's umph.

I sure miss that place. 

Did I ever tell ya'll about the time he "welded" an aluminum weed eater shaft with 6011 rod and the arc welder turned up high? 

:bigrofl:

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 08:48 PM

Glad its a simple repair!

You might need to borrow Daniels new 3/4 impact. 

The reason I say that is the "Ace Ma-chan-ick" where I used to work was servicing an F250 one day and had the rear hub off.  When he put it back together he used a 3/4 impact with a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter and a 1/2 inch drive socket.   He held the impact on the spindle nut until the 3/4 to 1/2 adapter gave out.  Then he cussed and stated he'd never get that nut tight enough now because he didn't have any 3/4 drive socket that'd fit the spindle nut. 
I was in amazement!!!
I just had to find something to do around the shop until he got the wheels mounted [he did both sides] and tried to take the truck out for one of his famous hour and a half "test drives".  
We all had a good laugh when the truck wouldn't move.  Seems the bearing load was a little more than the 351's umph.
I sure miss that place. 

Did I ever tell ya'll about the time he "welded" an aluminum weed eater shaft with 6011 rod and the arc welder turned up high? 
:bigrofl:

How is that place in business?
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 09:17 PM

How is that place in business?

Your tax dollars.  It was a government entity.

:wallbanging:

OH!  And he made more than I did because he was "skilled Labor" 

Edited by Gtractor, December 11, 2015 - 09:19 PM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks