• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 669 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 01:55 PM

Probably a bad idea... i know of a place with a loader that I can probably mount on it. if I remember correctly ( saw the loader a few years ago) it is winch operated. I would probably build a bucket manure forks and bale forks for it with some kind of quick attach. Would the front end be up to this? It looks like solid 1" square steel. I wouldn't be lifting more than 200 pounds max. I know to put wheel weights and ballast box (milk crate bolted to the draw bar) on the back end.

Just looking for opinions before I commit to buying anything.
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 02:20 PM

Part of the problem when looking at this is "how far will the load be in front of the axle?" The farther out, the greater the load on the axle. In my opinion, I would not risk any treasured tractors on such a venture but, I would one of my run of the mill Simplicities(1971 and newer) or Wheelhorses(1980) and newer. Check out the various plans in our Manuals Sections for loaders. Good Luck, Rick
  • chieffan and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 02:34 PM

Not sure I would put a loader on a tractor that small. the weight of the loader itself could put a strain on the front end. I have a moto and a porter cable and a couple that were just for parts. The most common thing I noticed is the worn out steering on most of them.  Thats with nothing or a mower on them. Just my 2cents worth.

• boyscout862, chieffan and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#4 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 02:59 PM

Ok. I just want a loader on something so I don't have to do nearly as much heavy lifting. I'll go dig around tractordata or the manuals section... I fully understand the implications of putting a loader on something. Local mechanic has said the worst thing for a tractor is a loader... I'll see if I can't find a cheap/expendable tractor of some kind.

Edited by Greasy6020, December 11, 2015 - 03:02 PM.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 04:19 PM

Why not just an old Ford N series?  Lots of them around, loaders around, cheap many times, hold up pretty good and parts everywhere.  Maybe in CA, they had more Ferguson's?  Must be little Olivers and Cockshutts up that way too?

• chieffan said thank you

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 04:36 PM

>>Local mechanic has said the worst thing for a tractor is a loader... I'll see if I can't find a cheap/expendable tractor of some kind.

And he knew what he was talking about.  Not only the GT but the full size tractor also.  Lot of front ends were busted up due to a loader as they are alwasy overloaded.  You say max of 200#.  But you will try 300 when the need arises.  "It won't hurt one time" end up being a hundreds times and the next thing the front end is falling out.  Been that route years ago with a Ford 2000 that came with a loader and standard front tires.  Could not keep the tires on top of the ground as every little soft spot they sunk.  Went to larger tires and rims.  Started busting spindals left and right.  Find you an old Farmall M or 400,450 and put a good loader on it and have something that will lift anything the pump will lift and won't hurt the tractor either.

• boyscout862 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#7 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Great suggestions but they all cost money... Too much money... But I'd prefer something really little to get into tight spaces and be to scale to the rest of my stuff. Plus I hate lifting small squares

#8 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 02:39 PM

The front axle is cast iron.  Sturdy but brittle.  I'd be cautious about overloading.

A bump in the wrong direction when loaded could be a bad outcome.

The older sears GTs have a solid steel front axle.

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#9 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Ok. I have a Sears lawn tractor that is worth about jack squat. Paint it case magnum red put a redneck 4 post rops and put a loader on it. I know the front end and steering will suffer...

It's a junker so I really don't care about it anyhow. I was told its only worth 50 bucks so I'll make the darn thing work off its purchase price...

Edited by Greasy6020, December 12, 2015 - 10:20 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:54 AM

Post pictures of your project . Good luck
  • Greasy6020 said thank you