3 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 08:24 AM

This past summer a wild driver intentionally hit our guard dog, a Great Pyrenees.  Seem the vehicle go by several times before it happened and haven't seen it since.  New dog is only 5 months old and don't leave him out at night yet.  Deer have ruined one young apple tree and really tore up another.  Both are about 150' from the house.  Just seen one across the road from the house, about 50' out to it.  Going to get ambitious when it gets colder and one is not going to make a return trip.  Have the trees sprayed with "Sorry Deer" so that will stop them for a couple weeks or till it rains.  When Jake was around nothing came within 300 yds of the place without him knowing it.

• grnspot110, hamman, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 12:26 PM

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your dog. I had newfies(dyed pyrennes). It hurt so much when they died that I have not been able to get another. There are alot of bass turds that get a power trip from hitting a big dog with a car or shooting them. I had to pass on a 40 acre piece of property 30 years ago because it bordered a state forest and neighbors told me that they lost cows to hunters every year. I figured that some idiot would shoot the newfie claiming that it was a bear.

Try a fence between the road and the yard. In such cases, I like 4" lolly columns, 5' into the ground and painted to look like wood. Space them less than a car width or use a steel beam as the rail. Good Luck, Rick

• Cvans, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 01:43 PM

Thanks much.  We had Jake for about 10 years.  Never had a problem with him and vehicles until some coyote hunters turned their dogs loose and they cam down across the back or our property.  I had to hold Jake back while thy loaded their dogs on the road.  Ever since than ever pickup that went by with a dog box, he wanted to eat it.  The new fog is 1/2 Pyrenees, 1/4 Anatolian Shepherd and 1/4 Akbash.  All three breeds originate in Turkey and are guard dogs.  He will be a BIG dog when he grows up.  Keep him away from the road when he is out with me.  Don't want him getting used to roaming the road.

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:18 PM

IMO. there are people that should be turned out on a road and chased with a vehicle for a ways before being run over. IF they hit your Jake by accident they should have come to the house and made amends. It wouldn't have brought him back but you wouldn't be feeling what you are now about them. Your new pup will be a powerhouse when he grows up for sure. I have met a few Akbash purebreds and they are not a dog to fool with if they decide you are a bad person. My neighbour has an Anatolian who is death on coyotes and anything else that trespasses in the sheep pasture.

• KennyP said thank you