• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 12:00 PM

I was in Fastenal yesterday and saw a brochure on this product. It's made by Alvin Products and called Lab-Metal. I was looking at the brochure this morning and saw the Technical Data part. In the chemical resistance section, it says it is not affected by mild acids, gasoline, petroleum, petroleum solvents, oil or L.P. gas. It is a putty that you spread on like JBWeld. Comes in a pint can, but rather expensive, ~$30. But if it will work to fix pin holes in our tanks, I'd say it's worth it. Here's a link.

• Bolens 1000, Bud, Gtractor and 12 others have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 01:12 PM

I used this stuff. So far it seems to be holding. It even works on gasoline wet areas.

http://www.permatex....el-tank-repairs

• Bud, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 02:30 PM

Is it as good or better than this stuff. I fixed an oil leak in a aluminum block once with this stuff. Block had pin holes in it. That was years ago, never leaked again. Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 02:45 PM

I still like the good old JB Weld Quick.  Or if not in a hurry straight JB Weld.  Just fixed a metal tank yesterday that had 4 tiny pin point seeps.  Put it on, remounted the tank and filled it up.  This morning dry as a bone where the leaks were.  Got to have the surface clean to work though.

• Bolens 1000 and propane1 have said thanks

#5 Oliver 2-44 OFFLINE  

Oliver 2-44
  • Member No: 66772
  • 47 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 03:42 PM

I've used the Alvin lab metal for some mower deck pinhole repairs and its help up. However be sure and check the expiration date on the bottom of the container. it truly does have a short shelf life. (and my Fastenal isn't the best about getting the old stuff off the shelf) 

• MH81 and Cat385B have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 04:30 PM

Is it as good or better than this stuff. I fixed an oil leak in a aluminum block once with this stuff. Block had pin holes in it. That was years ago, never leaked again. Noel

I tried that on a gas tank and it did no good what-so-ever! I won't use it again!

• propane1 said thank you

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 05:05 PM

We used to use a product called liquid aluminum that was quite good in fixing gas tanks. The key to most putty and epoxy quick fixes is proper preparation and working environment, if the product is not cured in its optimum range and the surface is not prepared correctly the bond will most likely fail! The one thing to remember is they are never permanent, they may buy you time but most likely will fail much faster than a proper repair.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 05:47 PM

The Lab-Metal has been used in auto body repairs since 1950, so I feel it is more viable as a repair than these newer 'solutions' that don't seem to work!

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 06:17 PM

I have had better luck sealing pinholes from the inside with Red Kote  or the POR 15 gas tank coating product.

• HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

#10 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,887 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 06:43 PM

I have had much success with this product it coats the entire inside of the tank automotive restorer's use it IMG_1269.JPG on their antique cars works great cost 15.00 when you are done sealing your tank pour the product back in to the can use it on your next leaking tank . I prep the tank with aquarium stone and acetone to clean it get rid of flaking rust empty tank rinse with water getting all the stone out pour in a little more acetone to help rid tank of water let dry. Perfect.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, karl and 2 others have said thanks