#31 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 06:51 AM

My problem was trying to come up with projects to do something with all the junk parts I had laying around. Spent more money than the part I was trying to use was worth. Got rid of the parts, got rid of all of the half finished projects, now I have more money, more room and more time on my hands

I was the same way..  I gotta save this to use someday..  

Then 'someday' comes and I need it and I remember I have it and spend a lot of time looking for it.  Then I get frustrated and just buy a replacement..  

Wouldn't you know that weeks later I happen across the thing I was searching for.   :wallbanging:   :wallbanging:

I left almost all of it when we moved.  The junk stayed in the shop for the next guy to try and keep track of!!

I still keep some stuff around but nothing like I did.  My hoarding days were over forever. (Mostly) 

AND,  in the end that is all it is:

Stuff..  

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#32 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 10:08 AM

Save all your belts! I almost used one out of this pile several years ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4523.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#33 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 11:20 AM

Save all your belts! I almost used one out of this pile several years ago.

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

#34 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 11:44 AM

If your really interested in down sizing, I'm sure the County Health Dept. has some tips for you.

#35 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies. in my head, I know I need to do them, but again, it's a mental thing trying convince yourself to pitch instead of keep.

I have a huge scrap pile my dad started probably 30 yrs ago, I had began to sort and was going to head to scrap yard, then the bottom fell out of the market. Probably will still take my cans, aluminum and some copper, but I'll leave the steel till spring, maybe it will recover some.

I won't even get started on how much equipment I've collected I had no use for. Who really can us 5- LT's mowers atone time? They jus seem to collect, I haven't bought even one of them.

I think Waste Management has a collapsible 4x4x8 garbage "bag" that I can buy for $29  and then it's $100 for them to pickup, it's like a small dumpster. I may buy one, set it up in the drive and start filling.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#36 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 02:15 PM

Most time you don'thave to pay anything, find the local guys that drive around and pick up scrap. Make a deal that they take all non metal for you in exchange for some valuable scrap metal. They will be happy to do it, I ended up feeling good about it and so did they! If you pay to get dumpster and haul away it will end up costing you more than you will make for the scrap.

#37 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 03:11 PM

That's kind of expensive.  I just read about those bagster things on waste managment's site, 140 dollar average pickup fee.  3,300lbs max.  That's pretty pricey to me.  Plus 30 for the bag thing, that's 170 bucks for a ton and ahalf

I can go to the landfill locally for 55 dollars a ton.

Not sure what it is in your area.  Probably more expensive since you are near Columbus.

#38 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 09:05 AM

That's kind of expensive.  I just read about those bagster things on waste managment's site, 140 dollar average pickup fee.  3,300lbs max.  That's pretty pricey to me.  Plus 30 for the bag thing, that's 170 bucks for a ton and ahalf

I can go to the landfill locally for 55 dollars a ton.

Not sure what it is in your area.  Probably more expensive since you are near Columbus.

We have a local dumping station, it used to be $35 truckload, $55 for trailer load. I would have to call to double check.

While it maybe cheaper, I can setup the bagster and and fill at my convenience over a month or two versus having to load trailer then get it unloaded as I use for other stuff. I dunno at this point, it's just me needing to get stuff sorted and pitched. I still have garbage collection at the house so every week I have been setting out bags of garbage, It was a good thing I saved some of my 50# feed bags, they work great as garbage bags. They will take about anything other than cooling equipment, drywall, & tires I may just keep cleaning every week and setting out a couple cans full of stuff.

I'm near Cincy, not far from one of the largest garbage dumps in the country, Rumpke mountain!

I have my own scrap pile so most of the metal will go on it. I had some stuff I didn't want to fool with, my neighbor is a scrapper, told him to grab it all which he did.

#39 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 09:55 AM

Right now I'm having a sell on craigslist, I took a picture of everything I want to get rid of and even some stuff I'm not so sure if I want to get rid of. I put on the ad MAKE OFFER on one item or all, so far I have sold out quite a bit of my junk but not near enough. What ever is left over is going to be pushed up in a pile with a loader and it will be hauled in when scrap prices go up.

Our place is terribly "junky" looking and I am tired of it. I have a rule, if I haven't used it or needed it with in 1 year then it goes because apparently I don't need it.

• TAHOE said thank you