• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 04:54 PM

I've been forced to do a bit of purging lately. I started by selling all my scrap, and trying to clean the junk parts out. I got my buddies to get their stuff out, and have been giving away and selling what I can. I now will have room for the wife's car when it comes out of the body shop.

I still have a long way to go. I am pretty sure I won't need a vari-drive setup anymore, and I have a couple of extra transaxles and a vintage springer for a motorcycle, dirt bike parts, atv parts, small power equipment needing repair etc.I don't think I really need 2 spare blowers for the furnace, especially since I have a spare furnace.

It's a hard thing to do, especially for some one like me. I'm always looking for stuff I can use.
  • Oldford said thank you

#17 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Start by getting rid of anything you don't actually use!

I've sold off much of my GT collection over the last couple of years, just by doing that.  Still have four tractors, one garden tractor, one lawn tractor, my compact utility & my antique farm tractor, use each one for a purpose.

• js5020, Chopperhed and Oldford have said thanks

#18 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 05:36 PM

......It's a hard thing to do, especially for some one like me. I'm always looking for stuff I can use.

My problem was trying to come up with projects to do something with all the junk parts I had laying around. Spent more money than the part I was trying to use was worth. Got rid of the parts, got rid of all of the half finished projects, now I have more money, more room and more time on my hands

• Alc and Chopperhed have said thanks

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 05:51 PM

I seem to collect 'possibly usable' stuff also. Just today, I looked at a pile of parts and found the perfect item to use on my Alice blade build. But not all things I keep end up that way!

• Chopperhed said thank you

#20 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Three sayings from other people i juggle around, about stuff

-if you haven't touched it in a year, toss it

-get your possessions down to what you can carry on your back

-no spare parts without a machine to put them on

Those are pretty extreme i just keep in back of my mind, can't actually live by them yet.  I don't keep machines that don't run and i can't fix.  I don't buy stuff that would cost me more than i could sell for, at least in money.  I don't own any machines for "recreation" any more, just work or transport.

Knowing how shaky the economy is i am always looking over my stuff, what can i toss, "just in case" of problems and having to move, good luck, moving sucks

Also i got my scrap bin down to a 5-gallon bucket, keep it inside, no rust.  2 small bolt bins, tabletop size.  If i need anything special i just cruise to the hardware store, support the local economy that way too

Edited by Oldford, December 10, 2015 - 06:01 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#21 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 07:15 PM

I'm downsizing too. Explanation:  I buy fewer tractors each year, till it gets down to non and then I'm right size!  Haven't reached that number yet, but getting closer.  Maybe I should MOVE! Nahh!  I'ld have to start all over again with bigger number then.

• jpackard56 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#22 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 07:37 PM

I have 3 generations of collecting at my family's farm... Anyone interested in an international R190 dump truck or 3? :)

LOL, you probably wound up with one I had !

#23 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 07:55 PM

My problem was trying to come up with projects to do something with all the junk parts I had laying around. Spent more money than the part I was trying to use was worth. Got rid of the parts, got rid of all of the half finished projects, now I have more money, more room and more time on my hands

My problem is getting to all the projects I had planned. Every piece I ever picked up had a reason, and a place in something I had planned. As time goes by, my project list gets smaller.
  • Alc said thank you

#24 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 07:56 PM

I always thought I would regret getting rid of anything, boy was I wrong! I have never felt better than I do now that I can look at the belongings I do have and feel proud and happy. The clutter really is debilitating and a crutch that most are not willing to admit stems from other issues. Cleaning up is more than just about the mess it helps with sorting out all life's tangles. I truly recommend at least giving it a go, it can change your life greatly!
  • Bolens 1000, Oldford and tater195 have said thanks

#25 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Many trips to the dump! We moved to the new house 4 years ago and no way was I going to bring it all here. I threw away 4-5 18' trailer loads, and about 80 car show trophies, I haven't missed a piece.
  • Oldford said thank you

#26 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 08:14 PM

Marty, I struggle too.

For some reason, I can't toss old belts... Only broken or cracked ones.

What's a new belt cost?

#27 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 08:42 PM

You gotta keep atleast a few of the cool trophies, you cant buy them back after you change your mind. I lost a bunch of my dads sprint car trohpys from the early '60s. 2nd place in the 2nd (1962) Knoxville Nationals, due to a mechanical malfunction. Sprint car hall of fame-r Gordon Woolley was driving his car that night and only lost by about 6 feet.

Yeah, I know is isnt good to be a name dropper.... Garth Brooks told me that.

Edited by tater195, December 10, 2015 - 08:52 PM.

• toomanytoys84 and toppop52 have said thanks

#28 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,409 Thanks
  • 1,544 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Every year I go through my GT/tractor stuff and any excess goes to the local auction or craigslist, I do have plenty of projects but am working on them little by little.  I refuse to sell any scrap at this time because of the price of scrap.

#29 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted December 10, 2015 - 09:33 PM

All I can say is each man knows his own limits and if your happy then that's what matters. On a different note I moved from 1\2 acre to 8 acres and somehow managed to get rid of everything that was in the original 1\2, wow land is a lot nicer when you can admire it without asking yourself if you have become the guy that the neighbors complain about.
  • Oldford said thank you

#30 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 01:54 AM

I have 3 generations of collecting at my family's farm... Anyone interested in an international R190 dump truck or 3? :)

Don't tempt some of us I have one already