#16 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 06:17 PM

Glad you like my Massey. The tractor is in storage right now so I can't actually measure how much higher it is but overall it is 2 1/2 to 3 inches higher than stock. The rear tires measure just under 28 inches tall so compared to a 23x8.50x12 you have about a 5 inch taller tire and divide that by 2 and you get 2 1/2 inches of lift on the back end. The tractor sits level so the 6x12 tires in front must raise it about the same over the stock 8 inch front tires. The seat pan is raised 1 1/2 inches and the tires run a lot closer to the edge of the fender than the stock tires did. With the taller tires I did pick up some top end speed also, she kites right along.
When I get out to the storage shed I'll measure the under axle clearance for you and let you know what it comes out to be.
Do you have a cultivator for your tractor now? What tractor are you going to use? How wide is your tractor and how narrow can you make it? If you wanted to cultivate the sweet corn even when it is quite tall you could always make a cultivator that tills the full width of the tractor and plant your rows several inches wider than the tractor is wide and just cultivate between the rows and not have to drive the tractor over the corn. Farmers used to plant corn and beans on 38 inch rows. Depending on your tractor you wouldn't have to plant your corn much wider than that to fit between the rows.
You could make your cultivator work so you could drive over the rows when the corn was short and it would be easier to see the corn this way when it was short. When the corn got to tall to drive over the rows with the tractor you could go between the rows if it needed to be cultivated. Just some ideas for you.
The 38 inch spacing for planting was a carryover from horse drawn equipment days. 38 inches was wide enough for a horse to go between the rows.
I'll get the actual clearance for you this weekend.

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 08:13 AM

I don't have a particular tractor on hand or in mind to makes the conversion. I have a JD 318 amd a Yard King PRO(Murray) right now.
I'll be looking for one to dedicate to this project. The 38" row concept is good as I have 8.9 acres, 5 of which coud be dedicated to crops and space is not an issue. I grew up in the 60's when mounted cultivators were common and still see the benifits of having the cultivator up front where you can see what your doing. I grew up on an Avery Model A and a 44 Massey Harris and a Massey would suit me fine if I can find one around here.

#18 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:24 PM

I do like this tractor setup. It is really nice looking. One question though, is it possible to get a side view?

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

#19 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Sweet tractor, it definately has a big tractor look to it.

#20 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 09:02 PM

do you have anymore pictures of this build by chance?

#21 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 11:11 PM

You know, I have been considering doing this for awhile now to my John Deere 140. I just am having trouble finding the rims to start with. I would like to find tires cheaper than those on miller tire, but no luck. I was gonna extend the fenders up after seeing a crack on both sides and some rust and thought it would be a great time to just fix it while adding a little metal inside. I really can't use my rockshaft after finding it having a crack in it and the frame has one as well right there. So, I guess why not modify it. I know it brings the value down, but what if it looks like it was made that way. Besides, the look on the nosey neighbor's face when he sees it compared to his less than two month old big box store cub will be priceless. Any thoughts?

#22 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:26 PM

The value only matters if you plan to sell it. If you plan to use it... go for it! I've though about (when I get to working on my 140) making it a round fender... just because I like the look of the round fenders.

• Texas Deere and Horse and michael.kitko have said thanks

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:42 PM

Bobby, That would look neat, post pictures when you get done!

#24 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Round fenders would look awesome on there. I never thought of that. I was actually gonna cut the fender and TIG in an extension patch all the way around, sand/ grind it smooth, then paint it. Also, thanks for the advice on the value matter. I never really looked at it like that. I just never want to ruin them and no, I am never planning on selling it. Hopefully, get a few more sometime. I am honestly just getting into this hobby and so far it is much more fun than chopper building. I guess it brings me back to my roots and I always related to machines better than bikes. Grew up with 'em. Sorry for the long winded reply.
  • twostep said thank you

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:50 AM

I just never want to ruin them...

I can relate to that. Actually it is exactly why I wish someone would come along with non-patio 140h3 and trade me... Surely someone out there would really like to have a red patio 140H3... if not I guess I'll just do with it what I want!