Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 08:29 PM

I was troubleshooting an electrical problem for the a/c on my 2003 Chevy Cavalier , no power from the dash fuse panel to relay under the hood . Removed the battery, airbox to even see the wiring harness coming through the firewall ,after more testing I narrowed it between a splice point and the relay . Getting late so put everything back together , shoot drained the battery from have the key on and door open . No big deal , charged the battery and when backing the car out of the garage I noticed it didn't have any indicator light or gauges :(:( Then indicator lights on part of the dash lite up and won't go out even with the key off !!! Disconnect the battery and reconnected it than at least those lights stayed off but still no gauges . Maybe I broke a wire or something .The next day ( 70 miles too) got deeper in the wiring diagrams . Removed 2 fuses for the body computer and gauges . The warning chimes on that computer for lights , keys ect. all those seem to be working . Nope , now the chimes were on when it shouldn't .:wallbanging: Removed the fuses again and waited and then put them back . Now everything works !!! The only thing I can think of is when the battery voltage dropped the body computer or dash electronics locked up like a pc does . That was yesterday and 100 miles ago .

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 08:35 PM

Glad it fixed itself. Ghosts in the machine.

I am a firm believer that there are waaaayyy too many computers in the tools we use. From cars to appliances... Makes it so much harder to keep fixed and when it breaks down, many things end up in the scrap. Not very efficient if you ask me, which is what the computer was put in there for in the first place, to increase efficiency.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 08:52 PM

Glad you got it worked out Al. I don't know if it is so much that the computer would have locked up more so being that it was stored in memory and it takes a set amount of time with no voltage till the capacitors empty to reset the computer.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 09:01 PM

You say it's a CHEVY? I think that's where the problem started, no offense except that Chevy builds cheap into their cars.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 09:44 PM

Glad you got it working. They are certainly very complex these days.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 10:38 PM

Before you even got to the end, I was thinking computer. I think that the less automation the better...at least as far as cars go! I had a 1991 GEO Metro. It got about 50 mpg. with the little 3 cyl in it. Not underpowered either! The next year they had to add the mandated EPA pollution control BS to it...robbed so much power that they had to make it a 4 cyl engine and it decreased the fuel economy to 35 mpg! Sound like less pollution and/or more efficiency to you?

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 22, 2011 - 04:29 AM

You say it's a CHEVY? I think that's where the problem started.

There you go.:bigrofl::bigrofl:Of course I am a FORD guy myself, so I'm going to find that funny.
But seriously,glad you got it worked out.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 22, 2011 - 05:43 AM

Glad you got it worked out Al. I don't know if it is so much that the computer would have locked up more so being that it was stored in memory and it takes a set amount of time with no voltage till the capacitors empty to reset the computer.

That does makes sence that the power had to be disconnected long enough for the capacitors to discharge . Found the spot where the main harness rubbed on a sharp edge enough that the wire corroded away . Also took care of another wire that the insulation was rubbed through too. Funny thing was it wasn't even in the area that I was looking at the first time , the damaged was down under the LF part of the frame !!! The wire's splice point was under the radiator support and then went backwards in the harness up to the relay block !!

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 22, 2011 - 07:00 AM

Hey Al. Sorry to have hijacked your thread there for my little rant :blush2: Glad you got it figured out though.